1880-O VAM-55 8/7 Check Mark, Doubled Right Reverse, Small O
Discovered by Jeff Oxman, February 2005. Revised 2010.
This coin is a Hot 50 Morgan VAM.
55 (revised) III2 13 · C3p (8/7 Check Mark, Doubled Right Reverse, Small O) (176) I-3 R-5
Obverse III2 13– Same die as VAM-16, 17, and 63 but later die state than 17A with obverse clash marks but clashed n and st worn away. 8 re-punched over 7 in date. Remains of 7 shows on surface of left side of upper loop of second 8 in form of a check mark. Second 8 doubled at lower left outside of upper loop.
Reverse C3p– ATES OF AMER slightly doubled towards rim. In God We Trust doubled at top. Outside leaves of right wreath doubled on rim side. Centered I O mint mark.
Die Marker - Two horizontal die scratches on top leaves of cluster next to to bow in left wreath. Same die as VAMs 6C and 6D.
- John Roberts has confirmed the die marker of two vertical polishing lines at top of eagle's left wing near left A in AMERICA on VAM-16 Die 2 is SIMILAR to VAM-55 which has an "Evil Mimic" die marker very similar to VAM-16 Die 2 BUT DIFFERENT. VAM-55 will have a curved die scratch on the first left leaf cluster left of the bow. So VAM-16 Die 2 and VAM-55 are definitely reverse different dies.
- This obverse class is shared with VAM-16 Die 1, VAM-16 Die 2, VAM-17, VAM-17A, VAM-55, and VAM-63.
- This reverse shared with VAM-6C, VAM-6D, VAM-11, VAM-11A, VAM-55, and VAM-68.
- Obverse die sequence is 55-16-17-17A. It appears that VAM 63 precedes 55, but this needs to be confirmed on actual coins
- Reverse die sequence is 68-55-6D-6C-11-11A
LVA Plate Photos:
Full Coin Photos
Full Coin Copyrighted© VAM-55 Images on loan to VAMworld courtesy©[Heritage Auctions]ATTRIBUTED BYRon Hagler