1879-S VAM-46 PAF, Tiust, Doubled 79, Engraved Wing Feather
Discovered by Calvin Cherry, September 1999.
This is a Reverse of '78 (PAF) coin and a Top 100* VAM variety.
46 III2 6 · B2c (PAF, Tiust, Doubled 79, Engraved Wing Feather) (184) I-4 R-5
Obverse III2 6 – Latest die state with die flake at top outside of 9.
Reverse B2c – Earlier die state than VAM-6. Broken r in Trust to form Tiust with upper serif completely missing. Small III S mint mark tilted slightly to left. Feather engraved between eagle’s right wing and leg.
Die marker- Die chip on 2nd inside feather from bottom of eagle’s left wing.
1. This obverse die was used on VAM-25, VAM-42, VAM-46, and VAM-52.
2. This reverse die was used on VAM-6 and VAM-46.
3. Parallel Arrow Feather Reverse of 78, TIUST, Doubled 79, Engraved Wing Feather, Closed 9.One of two 1879-S VAMs with completely broken r, TIUST. The other is VAM-6, which has an open 9.
4. Both sides of the coin's dies were highly polished. Polish lines are quite evident in the field by the nose here. The die scratch in the nostril area is a key PUP.
LVA Plate Photos:
The die scratch in the nostril area is a key PUP.
The die chip between the T and the Y of LIBERTY is a good confirmation.
trust is nearly tiust
Polish lines in the bow are key to picking this variety out. Not that these often come prooflike, whether they are designated as such or not.Notice the vertical die polish in the field by the mint mark.
Chip on the lower left (viewer's right) wing is reverse die marker.
Full Coin Photos
Large Full Coin Copyrighted© VAM-46 Images on loan to VAMworld courtesy ©[Heritage Auctions] ATTRIBUTED BY ANACS
- The Top 100 Morgan Dollar Varieties: The VAM Keys Copyright 2009 RCI. With permission from the authors Michael S. Fey, Ph.D., [http://www.rcicoins.com], and Jeff Oxman, [http://www.vamlink.com]