One more early Morgan dollar letter -the Last, I promise !

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
RogerB

One more early Morgan dollar letter -the Last, I promise !

Post by RogerB » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:23 pm

I promise this will be the last Morgan dollar post from me for a while -- I'm intruding on your variety conversations.

This letter is from Mr. Giles R. Anderson, a life long coin collector and the only one whose letters appear over many years of US Mint correspondence. An image and transcription appear below.
18910403 P Is this a pattern silver dollar-Anderson.jpg
18910403 P Is this a pattern silver dollar-Anderson.jpg (189.84 KiB) Viewed 112 times
Meriam & Morgan Paraffine Co.
551 Seneca Street
Cleveland, Ohio

April 3, 1891

O.C. Bosbyshell, Superintendent
U.S. Mint

Dear Sir,
I have had made to me an offer of sale for an 1878 Bland Dollar 7 feathers in the eagle’s tail, three leaves on the end of the branch that is held by the eagle, i.e., it looks something like this [sketch] instead of [sketch], or three bunches of three leaves each.

Will you kindly inform me whether this coin bearing the 3 leaves only; was an error in the regular issue or simply a pattern piece of rejected design. Your answer will oblige.

The piece is to be sold soon and I desire to know as soon as possible or I will lose chance.

Yours respectfully,
Giles R. Anderson

vampicker

Re: One more early Morgan dollar letter -the Last, I promise !

Post by vampicker » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:51 pm

If you run into more stuff like this, please don't feel it's an intrusion. Seriously cool bit of history!
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

lioncutter

Post by lioncutter » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:17 pm

Thanks for sharing. Please keep it coming.
I may not be the best, but I do not know anyone better.

Longstrider

Post by Longstrider » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:18 pm

NO!! Please keep posting these. I am learning so much of our history from them. Thanks.🐍

RogerB

Post by RogerB » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:34 pm

PS: I was asked about the tiny string of letters & numbers at the top of this and other letters. In this case it is:

RG104 E-1 Box 169

This is the archive identifier. It allows someone to find the location of a single document within the billions of pages held by NARA. In this instance "RG" means Record Group which is a large subject or government agency. "RG 104" is the US Mint; "RG 50" is the Treasurer of the United States; "RG 87 is the U.S. Secret Service Division (Treasury); "RG 56" is the Secretary of the Treasury. A complete list is on the NARA website.

"E-1" is the "Entry" or series number under the Record Group. In this case "E-1" is "General Correspondence 1794-1903" and within this are hundreds of file boxes crammed with documents in rough chronological order. An Entry typically has no index or detailed subdivision; but there is a notable exception for commemorative coins and medals and modern coinage project files. Early letters - before 1950 - are often simply stuffed in boxes.

"Box 169" is the file box in which this letter is stored. Sometimes they are in folders organized by month, but most are folded into 3-parts with a front-facing abstract (or "brief"). Clerks used the abstract to help them locate a document. There are no divisions lower than the folders, and limited indication of box contents -- maybe just a date range.

The bottom line is that when someone goes into a NARA facility, they write the archive identifier [RG104 E-1 Box 169] on a special pull slip along with the filing location of the box (given in a reference binder). In about 45 minutes, the person will have this box delivered to the research room.

blh74

Post by blh74 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:29 am

Please keep up the history lessons.

vamsterdam

Post by vamsterdam » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:07 pm

MORE intrusions, of this nature! not less.