Acetone geyser.. PSA

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
CascadeChris

Acetone geyser.. PSA

Post by CascadeChris » Tue May 19, 2020 3:15 am

So I was running low on acetone and got a new quart at Walmart. When I get home I usually "burp" my new acetone bottles as they expand a bit on the shelves. Well, this time it exploded on my face like Old Faithful. Not too bad, I quickly washed my face and arms and my eyelids did their job in quickly reacting. I do have a small cut on my forehead which burned for 15mins but all in all I escaped unscathed. Needless to say I'll be covering the lid with my palm when I burp fresh bottles in the future now. Just a little self-deprecating heads up PSA :lol: :lol: :? :oops:

giphy (14).gif
giphy (14).gif (370.09 KiB) Viewed 593 times
Alonzi VW 2.0!

blh74

Re: Acetone geyser.. PSA

Post by blh74 » Tue May 19, 2020 4:29 am

I worked with acetone a lot in a machine shop. It is a great cleaner for grease, oil, and inks. It`s harmless on your skin and good for cuts. It is safe when used properly.

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Tue May 19, 2020 2:22 pm

Damn, glad you didn't get it in your eyes
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

collectinsince65

Post by collectinsince65 » Tue May 19, 2020 3:08 pm

Glad you're ok Chris. You dodged a bullet.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Tue May 19, 2020 4:41 pm

vampicker wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:22 pm
Damn, glad you didn't get it in your eyes
Mental note/PSA -- contact lenses and acetone do not mix.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

morganman

Post by morganman » Tue May 19, 2020 6:09 pm

Yea Chris, Glad you escaped un scathed LOL
It's crazy little things like this that can really mess you up

I just forgot a coin taking a acetone bath, been in 2 days and
what a great difference, as it was PVC residue and almost
black with grease/dirt/ crud or ???? Came out fantastic
:|

vamnuke

Post by vamnuke » Wed May 20, 2020 1:17 am

:o

vamsterdam

Post by vamsterdam » Wed May 20, 2020 5:19 pm

I’ve never had that happen. Mine open slowly with an inhale. Never a burp or explosion.

Geseas

Post by Geseas » Wed May 20, 2020 5:40 pm

blh74 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:29 am
I worked with acetone a lot in a machine shop. It is a great cleaner for grease, oil, and inks. It`s harmless on your skin and good for cuts. It is safe when used properly.
Great site here. I am learning alot.

Is the acetone coin bath an accepted method for silver coin conservation? I understand things will vary with each coins character, but in general....
In other words, have I been photographing coins in a soiled condition? I haven't used acetone myself. It may have been used on coins I've photographed. I don't know.
Last edited by Geseas on Wed May 20, 2020 7:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Geseas

Post by Geseas » Wed May 20, 2020 6:18 pm

CascadeChris wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:15 am
So I was running low on acetone and got a new quart at Walmart. When I get home I usually "burp" my new acetone bottles as they expand a bit on the shelves. Well, this time it exploded on my face like Old Faithful. Not too bad, I quickly washed my face and arms and my eyelids did their job in quickly reacting. I do have a small cut on my forehead which burned for 15mins but all in all I escaped unscathed. Needless to say I'll be covering the lid with my palm when I burp fresh bottles in the future now. Just a little self-deprecating heads up PSA :lol: :lol: :?
CascadeChris mentioned bottles is why I ask. Thanks all!

VamHelsing

Post by VamHelsing » Wed May 20, 2020 7:55 pm

Was it "Old Faithful" Brand acetone? :D

@CascadeChris

Kurt28

Post by Kurt28 » Thu May 21, 2020 4:23 am

Geseas, acetone is an accepted coin cleaner. I buy it by the gallon, and use most of it on foreign coins I pick from the B&M bucket. I also use it on motorcycle and gun parts.
For the coins, it will simply dissolve the grime of dirt and hand oils. If I get a Morgan in a stapled 2x2, the first thing I do is give it a bath. I don't want to see fingerprint toning show up next year when I take it out of the safe.
However... there are a few things you should religiously observe.
1) Eye protection. In our hobby, we need to keep the eyes in good order.
2) Clear the work space of coins in plastic holders, and other plastic items. Acetone dissolves many plastics, and can ruin the holder of a nicely graded coin. And computer keyboards.
3) Use tapered vessel glassware for the coins. A shot glass is perfect for coins smaller than the Dollar, and some wine glasses are suitable for the larger coins. Drop a quarter into a shot glass, and you'll see that the coin is suspended by the rim, and the surfaces are never touched.

In the picture, you will see agate slabs. They are used to cover the vessels so that the acetone doesn't evaporate quickly. Glass panes from small picture frames or a chemist's watch glass would work equally well.
The knife is used to sharpen toothpicks when removing gobs of green stuff from cheap copper coins. It can cause scratches .
DSCN5543.JPG
DSCN5543.JPG (175.03 KiB) Viewed 429 times

CascadeChris

Post by CascadeChris » Thu May 21, 2020 5:08 am

VamHelsing wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:55 pm
Was it "Old Faithful" Brand acetone? :D

@CascadeChris
I've bought brands with wide mouth bottles before but I like this more narrow mouth style better. Probably wouldn't have to worry about a guyser with a wide mouth. Here's the brand I use...
20200520_220454.jpg
20200520_220454.jpg (89.23 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Alonzi VW 2.0!

Geseas

Post by Geseas » Thu May 21, 2020 3:06 pm

Thank you so much for sharing.
I had no idea. That suspension of a coin using a shot glass or any tapered glass vessel mentioned by Kurt 28 is very interesting to me. I assume you then administer a rinse and a air dry? No touching....., (kind of like these virus lessons.)

colwillys

Post by colwillys » Thu May 21, 2020 3:14 pm

I never had good luck using acetone .. Do you have to leave the coin in their for days .
Will it remove stains or just dirt .

LateDateMorganGuy

Post by LateDateMorganGuy » Thu May 21, 2020 5:35 pm

I basically do only Morgans. I use acetone regularly, with mixed results depending on the coin's problems, but it does do a great job on PVC. I have never soaked a coin in acetone for over an hour. Might be one of my problems. If the acetone doesn't take care of the issue right away, then I rinse and try ammonia. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. I have never tried a "coin dip". I just am not confident enough after hearing all the stories.

Kurt28

Post by Kurt28 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:15 pm

My comments will be mainly directed to other than Morgans, simply because this is where you should experiment and learn.
Historical restoration can be either rewarding or tragic. There is little room for error.
In addition to the coins, I have restored vintage British motorcycles and Museum collections of firearms.
It isn't difficult to understand, it is difficult to do.
In essence... Remove everything that shouldn't be there, and preserve everything that should be there.

To clean up a few loose ends, let me reply to Geseas. There is no rinse after an acetone bath. You have cleaned the coin, and it will dry faster than you can examine it. If you too quickly examine it with a plastic lens, the evaporating acetone can permanently fog the lens. Rinsing the coin in water will expose it to the minerals and contaminates you removed with the acetone bath. You have moved the contaminates from the coin to the acetone in your little glass vessel. Do not dump it back into your clean acetone. Dump it into an appropriate container marked as “used.”

If you have a mint coin and immersed it in the “used” acetone, it will pick up some of the minerals that were in the liquid. Save the mint coins for new acetone. However “used” acetone is great for a first bath for circulated coins. In fact I have containers marked “used” and “dirty.” The dirty acetone is great for cleaning machine parts.

Alan, I'm sure you know that ammonia is strong. It is in the family of E-Z-est and other thiouric acids. MS-70 is the opposite, it is a caustic. I'm not certain about this so don't take it as Gospel. Maybe we can get a Chemist to chime in.

For my coins, I will alter ph solutions. Acetone first, then possibly Verdi-Care, Coin Care, And a few other chemicals best left out of the discussion. But know that the chemicals are only a part of what is required. You must also make your own tools and work under significant magnification to physically remove the foreign debris. Lab Biologists have an advantage.

But remember, the goal is not to trick a customer, but to improve a coin.
And if you get nothing else out of the exercise of conserving a coin, you are better equipped to spot an improperly cleaned coin.

Let me share my efforts. I can turn an ugly 10 cent coin into a less ugly 10 cent coin.
Syria1K.jpg
Syria1K.jpg (211.85 KiB) Viewed 375 times
Maurit.jpg
Maurit.jpg (222.81 KiB) Viewed 375 times
Nepal.jpg
Nepal.jpg (211.32 KiB) Viewed 375 times