O/T, I'M GUESSING

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
VAM-PIRE

O/T, I'M GUESSING

Post by VAM-PIRE » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:03 am

I sent some coins to a grading co. recently (not pcgs). They sent me a note stating that one of the coins is recommended for conservation. Before I start negotiating with them, I would like to hear some unbiased outside opinions. First of all, is conservation just a fancy word for cleaning? Does it go on the label, or cause the coin to have a details grade? Will the coin have a different look after conservation? Why does the coin, which is uncirculated, require conservation? I'm open to any comments. Thanks for looking.

CascadeChris

Re: O/T, I'M GUESSING

Post by CascadeChris » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:30 am

If it's not toned my guess is there is some PVC or other "gunk" they want to remove. About your 9ther questions, it all depends. No, it's not cleaning, well its "cleaning via industry approved methods" if that makes sense. And it wont show on the label becasue conservation is always a risk. It will either be gradeable or not afterwards. I would respond asking what they are seeing that 5hey feel a conservation would help since you are unsure and go from there. If it's not a particularly valuable coin though I would just do it, if you really want it to have a shot to get in some plastic.
Alonzi VW 2.0!

VAM-PIRE

Post by VAM-PIRE » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:08 am

CC, I had already written down several questions, and with your message, I feel better about my questions. THX

bob259

Post by bob259 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:22 am

No doubt it will look different than before or they wouldn't suggest it. Conservation, to me, is just cleaning without harming the coin. I believe 90% of all raw coins have been cleaned at one time, some badly, showing evidence, and some with care, showing no evidence. Do be aware that sometimes removing stuff can reveal something you do not want to see. It is a gamble. I agree with Chris, give them a call so as to get as much info as you can before deciding.

Pittstate03

Post by Pittstate03 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:35 am

I agree with the posts above, talk to them and see what they have to say.

VAM-PIRE

Post by VAM-PIRE » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:11 am

Thanks for the comments. Both helpful and encouraging. I will update as this progresses.

vamsterdam

Post by vamsterdam » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:24 pm

I will chime in on this subject. I got a submission back in 2017 from NGC, where they put a note on one of my gorgeously toned proof franklins, that this coin would be a good candidate for conservation. it got a straight grade, pf66. the coin still had great luster, despite the heavy toning. they gave an "artificial toning" designation to nearly every coin in the order, even though they had been cut from unopened proof sets. they didn't have fake "AT" looking colors. They were just proof sets that were starting to fall apart but had remained in their original government envelopes, and the pliofilm had started to degrade. the previous order had been from the same group of sets and EVERY ONE OF THEM graded a straight grade. Well, that is my rant.
look at your coin carefully. get a second opinion in hand, from someone who has very good grading sense. how is the coin struck? how much contact does it have and where? how is the lustre now? how is the strike? use this in determining if there is any chance of the grade going up and if it will justify the cost of conservation, and the possibility that the coin could come back improperly cleaned.