General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
Kurt28

OT Administrators, computer pbms

Post by Kurt28 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:56 am

I find that I am unable to send PMs.

Kurt28

Re: OT Administrators, computer pbms

Post by Kurt28 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:06 pm

If it helps with the diagnosis, I haven't been able to log in from this page ( for a long time.)
I have to go to a specific discussion and log in to leave a reply.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:28 pm

That page is the Wiki login page. You need to login to the discussion forums, 2nd link down on the left side of what you see there. You can also use the URL http://forums.vamworld.com to go directly to the forums. You do not need an account on the Wiki if you have no interest in editing the pages there.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

Kurt28

Post by Kurt28 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:19 pm

I did return PM

Bigbub

Post by Bigbub » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:25 pm

Be aware, there are three separate logons required when using this wiki entirely.

1) VAMworld discussion forums. That is what you are reading now. Logon required to post and send PMs. Since you are posting you are logged on. I can't imaging why PMs aren't working for you. They work for me. Clear your cache and cookies and try logging on again.

2) VAMworld wiki pages. That was the logon page you posted. Required only to edit pages or post pictures there.

3) WIKIMedia. If you go to the Wikimedia main or help page and you want to post there for some reason, you need an entirely new logon and password. Probably wont affect most people here.

You can read only on all the separate pages without a logon.

alefzero

Post by alefzero » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:03 am

Also watch the quotas. I do not like deleting messages, but there is a 100 message limit.

Kurt28

Post by Kurt28 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:04 am

Caches, histories etc deleted.
PM sent.
No record of PM in SENT file.
11 stored messages, 9 sent.
Bigbub.jpg
Bigbub.jpg (61.58 KiB) Viewed 318 times

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:13 am

alefzero wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:03 am
Also watch the quotas. I do not like deleting messages, but there is a 100 message limit.
The oldest messages will automatically be deleted to make room for new ones if you hit the limit.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:16 am

Bigbub wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:25 pm
Be aware, there are three separate logons required when using this wiki entirely.

1) VAMworld discussion forums. That is what you are reading now. Logon required to post and send PMs. Since you are posting you are logged on. I can't imaging why PMs aren't working for you. They work for me. Clear your cache and cookies and try logging on again.

2) VAMworld wiki pages. That was the logon page you posted. Required only to edit pages or post pictures there.

3) WIKIMedia. If you go to the Wikimedia main or help page and you want to post there for some reason, you need an entirely new logon and password. Probably wont affect most people here.

You can read only on all the separate pages without a logon.
There is no reason anyone should have to login to #3 (MediaWiki) to use VAMWorld, including myself. It is a useful wiki for how to use the MediaWiki platform that the VAMWorld Wiki is built upon, showing how to use all the features and such, but it's basically a read-only user's manual wiki.

Bigbub

Post by Bigbub » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:09 am

Just so Kurt will know, I did receive his PM and I replied to it. Kurt, see if it worked OK.

One thing I have seen is that the PM recipient must open the PM in order for it to move from your outbox to the sent folder. I think that's a feature in the software so you'll know if the PM was read or not.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:35 am

Bigbub wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:09 am
Just so Kurt will know, I did receive his PM and I replied to it. Kurt, see if it worked OK.

One thing I have seen is that the PM recipient must open the PM in order for it to move from your outbox to the sent folder. I think that's a feature in the software so you'll know if the PM was read or not.
Yes, that is a feature. It also allows the sender to have second thoughts about having sent it or to edit it before it's read.

Kurt28

Post by Kurt28 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:30 pm

I'll just guess things are working properly.
Immediately after sending an email, I would check the sent box and the message didn't appear.

Thanks all, I learn something new every day.