ANA, Will it survive?

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
HawkeEye

ANA, Will it survive?

Post by HawkeEye » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:57 am

I got an interesting note from the ANA yesterday almost begging people to run for the board. That got me curious so i went to their web site and checked their finances. It looks to me like they lost $1.5 million in 2019, so pre Covid.

Do they have a white knight or is this the beginning of the end for them?
Deep in the woods of North Georgia

Longstrider

Re: ANA, Will it survive?

Post by Longstrider » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:56 pm

I hope they make it. It sure looks bad. People furloughed, hours cut, most everything they do to raise money like shows and summer seminar canceled. Pretty bad.🐍

vamnuke

Post by vamnuke » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:09 pm

:cry:

RogerB

Post by RogerB » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:48 pm

Just some personal thoughts on the OP's question.

ANA lost is way about 25 years ago. They abrogated their inherent authority and credibility for coin grading standards and terminology standards, thus leaving collectors at the legal mercy of overgraded and falsely described coins. They also failed to take action against counterfeiters - foreign and domestic - thus leaving a huge hole for scum to slither through. ANA pushed HPA then abandoned the core principles of the law, and stuck their collective heads in the mud.

Technological advances have completely eluded ANA and the Board acts as if we still use semaphore flags and bonfires to send messages. The Boards and management have consistently refused to be a responsible steward of collectors' hobby and the connected business community. ANA has no influence or presence with Congress, or the Treasury, or Customs and Border Protection, or Homeland Security (USSS). Their relationships with major national and international museums are laughable....or maybe "depressing" is a better word to use.

They lose money by design - that is, there is no coherent plan for the future: just the same-old, same-old, with excuses and promises added for padding. A non-profit does not have to be ineptly run or avoid being financially secure.

ANA offers little incentive for membership because they have few tangible achievements that benefit collectors of all levels of experience. Their Federal Charter is one of only a few, but ANA acts as if it settled in North Georgia to play the banjo and bother the piglets. No individual Board member can "Deliverance" use from the present situation.

I've been a member since 1969 and continue to be a member and support them with book donations and occasional article editing. But the only way "ideas" are going to have a chance of changing ANA for the better is for a ticket of organized members to run as a reform committee for the Board and enter office with a clear, coherent plan. It's as if ANA had Covid-19 but sat around wringing their ANA-hands and lying to each other about the future of doing nothing. As in almost anything, problems can be solved, but the truth must be faced straight on.

For now, ANA is a mess.

alefzero

Post by alefzero » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:36 pm

I agree with you, Roger. When mine lapsed (the only membership I didn't get as a lifetime one), I questioned myself as to what it offered. The only thing that justified renewals was the ability to set up at ANA shows. Like Sears coming too late to the online marketplace, the ANA missed the boat in an online presence, whether stubbornly deliberate or ignorant, in addition to stepping aside while the TPGs rolled right over them as the authoritative agent of the hobby and industry. I will stop short of condemning them as a good example of the risks of transferring control to for-profit entities. I cannot imagine much reason for younger collectors to join the club.

Namvet69

Post by Namvet69 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:11 am

Well the analysis is disheartening at best. Death by a thousand cuts in a business model is not pretty. Peace Roy

HawkeEye

Post by HawkeEye » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:31 am

I certainly agree with Roger, except for the North Georgia reference. Banjo playing here is still big and we actually have the state champion living just a mile or so down the road.

I cannot see how they remain relevant. PCGS and NGC have taken over grading and are much more present in the marketplace. The ANA should have a role but I just don't see where they fit any longer. They don't seem to be a value add for anything but education but, like the Post Office, if they exited the stage PCGS and NGC would fill the void.
Deep in the woods of North Georgia

RogerB

Post by RogerB » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:31 am

One route to relevance for ANA begins with delivering a high profile service to the hobby and business.

1) Take a very aggressive, hands-on, active approach to getting rid of counterfeiters, their manufacture, importation, distribution, sale and transfer. Let everyone in and out of the hobby know that ANA will pursue every counterfeit that pops up on any venue;
2) That ANA will seek forfeiture of all related revenue and assets;
3) Establish a partnership with CNA to mutually support and enforce actions here and in Canada;

There is so much "low hanging fruit" that successful prosecutions can produce a large flock of national press releases. These would be both notice, warning, and reward to collectors.

4) Simultaneously, drop the money-losing activities - at least for a couple of years so that high profile actions can be properly supported.

Immediate - At present ANA has to prioritize spending so that it can remain solvent. That, of course, requires planning which does not seem to be a management strong point. On this, the ANA President and Board have to be much stronger and more "corporate" in governing the organization. That is: run the ANA and tell management what to do, not the tail wagging the banjo as at present.