FUN VAM Dinner Substitute?

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
messydesk
Site Admin

FUN VAM Dinner Substitute?

Post by messydesk » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:13 pm

@DHalladay gave me an idea in the thread about the FUN show being cancelled. Thursday of FUN is traditionally our VAM dinner. We have about 20 of us at a noisy restaurant and BS about coins and stuff over food for a couple hours. For many, this is the highlight of the FUN show. Given the show has been cancelled, perhaps we try to do this over Zoom this year. Maybe we don't do it Thursday, because it's a weekday and there are work days spanning at least 3 time zones in play, but perhaps Saturday, January 9 would work. Grab a snack and a drink, or a 32 oz. Porterhouse and a cheesecake (@twohawks) and we can chat for a bit, come and go as you wish. Zoom only lets you have 40 minutes without a paid or university account, so if someone can help out there, that'd be appreciated. I'm not sure what time of day would be best. 4 PT/7 ET?

Thoughts?
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

DHalladay

Re: FUN VAM Dinner Substitute?

Post by DHalladay » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:37 pm

Count me in! :D
When in doubt... don't.

vamnuke

Post by vamnuke » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:31 am

Count me in, too.

VamHelsing

Post by VamHelsing » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:54 am

Sounds like fun!

alefzero

Post by alefzero » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:01 am

Question, and I could probably figure it out if I had a little time. For those on PCs/MACs, rather than smart phones, is it straightforward or possible to switch the video feed between the cam and, say, the USB Dino-Lite? It could serve a number of purposes in using Zoom or other conferencing (or P2P) technology, but here it could bring the VAM sharing component of a FUN dinner into it. Can switch between Russ (pre- or post-meal) eating cake and showing off a recent acquisition for instance.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:30 am

alefzero wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:01 am
Question, and I could probably figure it out if I had a little time. For those on PCs/MACs, rather than smart phones, is it straightforward or possible to switch the video feed between the cam and, say, the USB Dino-Lite? It could serve a number of purposes in using Zoom or other conferencing (or P2P) technology, but here it could bring the VAM sharing component of a FUN dinner into it. Can switch between Russ (pre- or post-meal) eating cake and showing off a recent acquisition for instance.
Yes. In a group chat setting, like we'd do, anyone can change their video source to any of the camera devices on their systems. Now to be a real VAM dinner, any pictures of coins need to be in extremely poor light.

Anyone watching can make anyone else appear as full-screen if they want, can do a Brady Bunch view, or have Zoom automatically make the current speaker full-screen (can be confusing with large groups).

JASONKFLO

Post by JASONKFLO » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:11 am

that would be a blast
Jason Floyd
I climb Mountains , Grow Bamboo and like Coins

shortnock

Post by shortnock » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:19 pm

Would sure enjoy lurking in on that meeting.
Refrain from computing the total number of poultry... before the process of incubation has fully materialized.

HawkeEye

Post by HawkeEye » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:31 pm

Sounds good, are you giving a presentation?

How much money are we talking about on Zoom? Maybe we could all chip in a little since we are not having to dine out.
Deep in the woods of North Georgia

playtime1

Post by playtime1 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:39 pm

Count me in. A whole lot cheaper and safer than flying down to Florida would have been. :D

LateDateMorganGuy

Post by LateDateMorganGuy » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:42 pm

Sounds good to me unless I am in the car heading back to St. Louis from Orlando, which likely might be the case.

vamsterdam

Post by vamsterdam » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:25 pm

depending on the time, i will not be able to participate in a saturday meetingafter 6pm maybe?). not to mention whether our hideously lousy internet will work. i have been wanting to do a presentation on my 1879s project for several years.

keilg1

Post by keilg1 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:51 pm

If there's going to be great conversation and cheer, count me in from the UK! I'm 5 hours ahead of FL so I'll be deeply into gin time by then. I'm still young (or a young 54) so a midnight start isn't too bad!

Ahead of the virtual FUN fun, I'll openly admit that I'm getting a few of the natives here interested in VAMming.

Gary
Gary Redfeather, PhD, RPh

https://www.linkedin.com/in/drgarykeil/

Click https://gjkeil2-82005.medium.com/our-lo ... 485d6cf0a5 to read the backstory of my surname change

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:52 pm

HawkeEye wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:31 pm
Sounds good, are you giving a presentation?
This would be an informal get together. We'll talk about whatever comes up. For presentations, we're looking at making VAM Thing XVIII a webinar, which will be recorded.
How much money are we talking about on Zoom? Maybe we could all chip in a little since we are not having to dine out.
I wouldn't worry about this. Worst case, it's not a lot, but I'll see if I can come up with a way to make it free.

Once I do figure out logistics, I will ask people to request a link to the meeting (i.e., register for the virtual VAM Dinner) so that I know who's attending. The link will not be published publicly for obvious reasons.

fogie

Post by fogie » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:45 pm

i wanna play!

DHalladay

Post by DHalladay » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:52 pm

fogie wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:45 pm
i wanna play!

Hey Brent, let's sit together OK? :lol:
When in doubt... don't.

lured_in_again

Post by lured_in_again » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:31 pm

I'm interested in attending virtually, just hope my postponed retirement doesn't get in the way....