PCGS re-holder special.. blah

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
mark

PCGS re-holder special.. blah

Post by mark » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:35 pm

So PCGS has this re-holder special.. 5 bucks off gold shield.. I had a few coins that I wanted pics and attributing so sent in an order. This is re-holder and attributing, not even grading.. I usually have a turn around of 2 weeks on re-holders.

Today is 28 business days and still at received! 6 freaking weeks! I sent them an email last week to see if there was a problem.. no reply. Only emailed since the call wait was over 100 minutes. Due to my schedule I can't just put in a call back for later.

The time wait for their "special" is total garbage..

END RANT

keydates

Re: PCGS re-holder special.. blah

Post by keydates » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:17 pm

I sent 2 coins in for attribution and they received them on 9-25-20.
Also no sign of being done.
Hope they get it right.
Larry

RogerB

Post by RogerB » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:46 pm

Will they put them in any holder I want, or just theirs? :D

mark

Post by mark » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:22 pm

Mine were started on 9/9.. after taking 3+ days to even enter the order. :roll:

vamnuke

Post by vamnuke » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:39 pm

:cry:

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:50 pm

When I do reholders, I always do them at shows. I do need a few coins reholdered, but I don't need their pictures.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

VamHelsing

Post by VamHelsing » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:12 pm

Sent 10 coins in on 9/11... NO movement...

CascadeChris

Post by CascadeChris » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:07 pm

Sounds like they're busy with a hot special.
Alonzi VW 2.0!

colwillys

Post by colwillys » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:32 pm

PcGs lost one of the 3 blind mice .

alefzero

Post by alefzero » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:20 pm

I should look into this. I have gotten eBay returns on the most insignificant common corner rail chips on the holders and just paying the shipping both ways kills me. Not sure if this will save any on the end though.

Looked. I think the gold shield is being set to free (which is already free to me as an authorized dealer) but the imaging being free, which helps them with their marketing an registry participation so should be free IMHO, is worthwhile. I would check to see if they would do attributions in the order as well or if it is just verify, crack, photo, and reholder.

mark

Post by mark » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:18 am

I sent mine in for attributing as well. I think that's probably the holdup vs the actual holder/imaging. I have been sending batches to get trueview pics for all my set coins.

FYI, for those interested one of the main reasons I sent this order is because they added 1878 7/8TF VAMs 41C, 41B, and 42A.

HawkeEye

Post by HawkeEye » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:01 pm

I have also had some slow orders lately, but I am cutting them some slack because of COVID. They probably have the same personnel issues as everyone else.
Deep in the woods of North Georgia

alefzero

Post by alefzero » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:22 pm

I wonder if this is what is holding up my previous grading order (regular service from early September). It has been in the imaging queue for what seems like forever. I guess there are a lot of these specials in there too.

CascadeChris

Post by CascadeChris » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:41 pm

alefzero wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:22 pm
I wonder if this is what is holding up my previous grading order (regular service from early September). It has been in the imaging queue for what seems like forever. I guess there are a lot of these specials in there too.
Thats what I was thinking..the bottleneck could be at imaging. And images could also be the main reason reason many are taking advantage of this special..
Alonzi VW 2.0!

HawkeEye

Post by HawkeEye » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:50 am

I think there is a coding error on submissions where all the Gold Shield orders are marked as in for imaging at the start even though they are not at that stage. I have noticed that my orders are marked as in for imaging from the start even though I know they cannot be that far along in the process.

That said, when they really get to the imaging stage it does seem to take longer than normal but right now I am submitting some really odd items that could just take longer.

mark

Post by mark » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:22 pm

They still haven't officially posted my "grades" but on to the QA stage. I could see the varieties added in my registry on Monday.

I would have given them slack for covid but my last two orders went through normally back in July/August so was pretty blindsided by nearly 2 months for reholder and attributing.

BTW, PCGS finally replied to and email saying they were backed up due to Attributing for the reholders. (backed up due to all the specials) No mention of why it took them almost 2 weeks to reply to my email though. :roll:

*"Grades" in and shipped. Pics should come through tonight. In 9/9 out 10/22.

alefzero

Post by alefzero » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:29 am

It runs through the end of the year. I am only doing early dollars and can wait until the surge subsides a bit. That way, too, I don't have as many of the inevitable ones to add right after I send in a submission.

RogerB

Post by RogerB » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:44 am

alefzero wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:29 am
I am only doing early dollars...
If you are doing early dollars, late, then will someone's late dollars get done early?
Curious....

HawkeEye

Post by HawkeEye » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:22 am

Just curious, but I thought they farmed out some of the VAM attribution work, especially on more difficult ones. I wonder if this is the bottleneck since I think you said it was for pix and attribution.

While taking a break here I have been submitting Comitia Americana medals and First Spouse gold coins. The First Spouse seem to go through fine, but the medals take some unusual expertise and I am submitting what I know they probably have to farm out to a medals expert. They slow the process considerably.

The other possibility seems to me to be offering too many specials that involve pix and perhaps not beefing up that area to handle additional volume. Then they own the delay regardless of the bottleneck.

vamsterdam

Post by vamsterdam » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:40 am

I doubt they are farming ng out attributions. I was told several times that they will not do this brcause of liability issues, besides, if they were going to do that, i’d think they would at least try to farm them out to someone that was at least remotely competent. I just sent them 5 more for correction.