Found another 1893-O VAM-6 privately-made, post your 1893-O/1894-O PMs

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
Post Reply
dcarr
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:10 am

Found another 1893-O VAM-6 privately-made, post your 1893-O/1894-O PMs

Post by dcarr » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:37 am

I think I probably have most of these that are currently known ;)

This one was recently for sale on the internet, unattributed:
Image

evensocome
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:55 am

Re: Found another 1893-O VAM-6 privately-made, post your 1893-O/1894-O PMs

Post by evensocome » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:42 am

VERY cool! 👍👍👍

RogerRock
Posts: 362
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:40 am

Re: Found another 1893-O VAM-6 privately-made, post your 1893-O/1894-O PMs

Post by RogerRock » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:27 am

Very unique niche ! Thanks for sharing. 8-)
Stage 3 TERMINAL DIE STATE SILVER DOLLAR EXPLORER

evensocome
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:55 am

Re: Found another 1893-O VAM-6 privately-made, post your 1893-O/1894-O PMs

Post by evensocome » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:44 am

To me, the history alone of these who-dunnit CC's should give them more general collector interest than most VAMs. VAMs are the niche - these are just plain US history with a side of criminal intrigue in the form of a coin. Trying to explain VAMs to people makes us sound like bird watchers. These CC's on the other hand, read like a real-life high-stakes historical crime mystery. Just sayin. Pile on me now...

blh74
Posts: 513
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 1:28 am

Re: Found another 1893-O VAM-6 privately-made, post your 1893-O/1894-O PMs

Post by blh74 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:03 am

evensocome wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:44 am
To me, the history alone of these who-dunnit CC's should give them more general collector interest than most VAMs. VAMs are the niche - these are just plain US history with a side of criminal intrigue in the form of a coin. Trying to explain VAMs to people makes us sound like bird watchers. These CC's on the other hand, read like a real-life high-stakes historical crime mystery. Just sayin. Pile on me now...
I agree it is truly interesting.

lured_in_again
Posts: 324
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:16 pm

Re: Found another 1893-O VAM-6 privately-made, post your 1893-O/1894-O PMs

Post by lured_in_again » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:42 pm

Curious if any of the 93 o privately made are known to have a rotated reverse. Several years back at a local show, there was a dealer that had 5 or 6 of the 1893 o's in his stock that all looked "funny". Each of them had approximate rotation of 45 to 75 degrees. He said he had bought them all from an old collector earlier that year. I wrote it off as a small group of counterfeits.

dcarr
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:10 am

Re: Found another 1893-O VAM-6 privately-made, post your 1893-O/1894-O PMs

Post by dcarr » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:59 pm

lured_in_again wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:42 pm
Curious if any of the 93 o privately made are known to have a rotated reverse. Several years back at a local show, there was a dealer that had 5 or 6 of the 1893 o's in his stock that all looked "funny". Each of them had approximate rotation of 45 to 75 degrees. He said he had bought them all from an old collector earlier that year. I wrote it off as a small group of counterfeits.
I've never seen ANY privately-made VAM with a rotated die more than about 5 degrees.
And I've never seen any genuine 1893-O with a rotated die more than that same amount.

collectinsince65
Posts: 687
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:55 am
Location: Florida

Re: Found another 1893-O VAM-6 privately-made, post your 1893-O/1894-O PMs

Post by collectinsince65 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:48 pm

I am in Dan's camp on looking for CC's
Have a pair of 1894 o CC sterling tested by @CascadeChris
that I posted on here awhile back.
Will get these out to LVA along with my CC sterling 84 S in the near future
Searching for these CC's is a niche in itself
Kinda like searching for a long lock 78 S
Have about 6 of the 1896 o CC VAM 22
I find it an easy one to spot when looking
Mike

vamsterdam
Posts: 827
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:48 am

Re: Found another 1893-O VAM-6 privately-made, post your 1893-O/1894-O PMs

Post by vamsterdam » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:19 pm

i look every time i am out. i have quite a pile of cc's but none form 94o, or 93o

DHalladay
Posts: 1780
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: Found another 1893-O VAM-6 privately-made, post your 1893-O/1894-O PMs

Post by DHalladay » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:23 pm

Wonderful find Dan! :mrgreen:
I constantly look for those and if I ever find one I'll try to sneak it into a PCGS holder via a bulk submission.
When in doubt... don't.

User avatar
messydesk
Site Admin
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 1:57 am

Re: Found another 1893-O VAM-6 privately-made, post your 1893-O/1894-O PMs

Post by messydesk » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:51 pm

DHalladay wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:23 pm
Wonderful find Dan! :mrgreen:
I constantly look for those and if I ever find one I'll try to sneak it into a PCGS holder via a bulk submission.
For the record, I discourage sending them fakes.

:D
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

crabscrape
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 10:38 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Found another 1893-O VAM-6 privately-made, post your 1893-O/1894-O PMs

Post by crabscrape » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:13 pm

Why John? Or I could say Dennis?

User avatar
messydesk
Site Admin
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 1:57 am

Re: Found another 1893-O VAM-6 privately-made, post your 1893-O/1894-O PMs

Post by messydesk » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:36 am

crabscrape wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:13 pm
Why John? Or I could say Dennis?
I suppose I could have used this instead. -> ;)
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

Post Reply