New Grading Contest – Win a 1878 SFLN

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
Flat-Chested

New Grading Contest – Win a 1878 SFLN

Post by Flat-Chested » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:28 pm

I previously tried to give away a details San Francisco Long Nock but there was no clear winner of the contest so I desire a new grading contest that will result in three winners.

Would somebody please be so kind to post a few quality photos of “five” of your pre-1921 Morgan dollars that you will then mail off to one of the grading companies (ANACS, NGC or PCGS). Members can then post their grade guesses, if you think the coin will come back as “details” then say so in your guess, together with which flaw(s) that rendered the coin as damaged. If you guess “Fine 12 Details” and the coin comes back as “Fine Details” then you will still be allocated points. Hopefully at least one of your five coins will depict a flat-chested eagle. Members will determine who the winners are. I am donating the prizes, the first place winner will be mailed a Details 1878-S VAM 62 Long Nock, the second place winner gets a Details 1878-S VAM-26 Long Nock, and the third place winner gets a 1878-S VAM-27 Long Nock. If you wish to keep your address private, then perhaps the coins can be mailed to an administrator who would then repost the coin(s). Good luck. –Signed Flat-Chested

RogerRock

Re: New Grading Contest – Win a 1878 SFLN

Post by RogerRock » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:13 am

Your previous contest was completely dishonest when you changed your grading "rule" after the coin was returned from TPG !! How many times are you gonna try to pull a similar ruse of bait and switch?
Reputation is everything in the coin business, numismatics, and VAMWorld.
Stage 3 TERMINAL DIE STATE SILVER DOLLAR EXPLORER

impairedsquirrel

Post by impairedsquirrel » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:00 am

TBH I think he can choose the person he wants to send a free coin to solely at his own discretion. I know it kind of sucks but, meh.
I go totally NUTS for WOW! VAMs!! Or is that from WOW! VAMs?

Flat-Chested

Post by Flat-Chested » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:09 am

In the original contest nobody got the grade correct and there were members who spoke up in defense of that. Because you folks were unable to guess the correct grade in the last contest, I am now offering an alternative contest where there are three guaranteed winners, they will be the people who guess closest to the correct grades of the five Morgans, and they are chosen by public opinion. In case of a tie, the person putting out his or her guesses first would be the winner. I'm trying my best to not only give away that details VAM 62, but wish to mend bad feelings by giving away two additional details long nocks. I can mail these three coins to some individual holding an administrative position with VAMWorld after somebody posts at least 10 decent photos of the five different coins. I think this contest is a fair response to those who harbour bad feelings when they and nobody else guessed correctly last time, here are new rules that allows for not only one guaranteed winner, but three. Sorry for the bad feelings, but you accuse me unjustly.

blh74

Post by blh74 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:44 am

WHY? Personally I don`t find these coins very interesting.

Flat-Chested

Post by Flat-Chested » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:54 pm

by blh74 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:44 am "WHY? Personally I don`t find these coins very interesting."

Why?!!! Just trying to contribute to the organization. Tried contributing photos for the pages but nobody took an interest in posting the photos for the pages. When I started posting photos in VAMWord 1.0, I met with ongoings attacks because the photos were not perfectly formatted. I'm slow, it took me years to figure out how to get a photo posted in VAMWord 1.0 and when I finally managed to get anything to show, I was greated with abuse. I am still trying to contribute here without being rewarded with abuse. Many people find 1878 Morgans of interest, I thought that having a contest and giving some away might be a pleasant and positive experience, perhaps I am wrong again. I think anybody now issuing abuse over this contest should reconsider. The entire VAMWorld 1.0 discussions were removed due to people issuing forth ignorant comments to others, why not attempt to treat all people with respect and dignity? If somebody posts a photo and asks for assistance in attribution, don't be issuing abuse to the individual, either assist positively or consider keeping your mouth shut. If you don't find the coins interesting, then consider speaking up in a positive fashion when you see something that interests you.

impairedsquirrel

Post by impairedsquirrel » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:17 pm

No good deed goes unpunished...
Sheesh.
I may have a coin to offer for opinion, but I'm not sure when I'd get it graded... in fact I may post a couple just to help out.
I go totally NUTS for WOW! VAMs!! Or is that from WOW! VAMs?

Flat-Chested

Post by Flat-Chested » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:34 pm

I paid $450 US for the details 1878-S VAM-62 about 8 years ago, bought it sight unseen, the seller didn't care to offer photos and just said the coin was scratched. Between the three San Francisco Long Nocks I am awarding as prizes, I paid a little over $1000 Canadian for the three coins including shipping and taxes. The VAM-62 was not awarded at the last contest as nobody met the criteria for winning the coin. Advice for new members is to NOT buy details coins, but this is quite difficult with ungraded coins as often the photos posted on eBay do not show the damage. If you see a seller offering both graded and ungraded coins, often the coins that are ungraded were not sent in for grading because the seller knows the coin is damaged and will not make the grade. It would be helpful if more people posted details coins in order to educate members why such and such a coin failed to grade. It would also be helpful to post photos of coins that have rim damage and still get a clear grade, perhaps we can learn what amount of rim damage is acceptable. People cruise this site without being a member, consider joining so that you can compete in this contest and win a damaged Morgan.

ljs123

Post by ljs123 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:29 pm

Flat-Chested wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:54 pm
by blh74 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:44 am "WHY? Personally I don`t find these coins very interesting."

Why?!!! Just trying to contribute to the organization. Tried contributing photos for the pages but nobody took an interest in posting the photos for the pages. When I started posting photos in VAMWord 1.0, I met with ongoings attacks because the photos were not perfectly formatted. I'm slow, it took me years to figure out how to get a photo posted in VAMWord 1.0 and when I finally managed to get anything to show, I was greated with abuse. I am still trying to contribute here without being rewarded with abuse. Many people find 1878 Morgans of interest, I thought that having a contest and giving some away might be a pleasant and positive experience, perhaps I am wrong again. I think anybody now issuing abuse over this contest should reconsider. The entire VAMWorld 1.0 discussions were removed due to people issuing forth ignorant comments to others, why not attempt to treat all people with respect and dignity? If somebody posts a photo and asks for assistance in attribution, don't be issuing abuse to the individual, either assist positively or consider keeping your mouth shut. If you don't find the coins interesting, then consider speaking up in a positive fashion when you see something that interests you.

Recently there have been several posts by new people. I don't want any new member to get incorrect information. But something that was stated in this message looks way off to me.

JB, @messydesk would you please confirm or reject the following statement that was made by Flat-Chested?
"The entire VAMWorld 1.0 discussions were removed due to people issuing forth ignorant comments to others"

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:48 pm

ljs123 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:29 pm
Flat-Chested wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:54 pm

Recently there have been several posts by new people. I don't want any new member to get incorrect information. But something that was stated in this message looks way off to me.

JB, @messydesk would you please confirm or reject the following statement that was made by Flat-Chested?
"The entire VAMWorld 1.0 discussions were removed due to people issuing forth ignorant comments to others"
This is false. There was the occasional thread that was removed because of this, but I have an archive of the entire discussion board and the desire to make it available again. Unlike the wiki, it was not easily transferred to another format, and I was only able to get it because a support person at Wikispaces was able to get it to me shortly before that ship went down.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

Flat-Chested

Post by Flat-Chested » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:26 pm

I stand corrected. There was and continues to be verbal abuse, but the abuse is not the cause of the loss of the entire archive of VAMWorld 1.0.

Flat-Chested

Post by Flat-Chested » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:40 pm

After clearly indicating in the original post that the contest will be judged by the members, and after indicating the prizes would first be sent to an administrator, Impairedsquirrel commented that I will still send the prizes to whom I so chose, rather than to those who manage to win the contest. Then in his following comment mentions that he would be willing to post photos for opinion but isn’t willing to send them in for grading, which is the entire point of the contest, to get the coins graded and see who chooses the correct grade. Rather than offer a single kind word of support for this contest, Impairedsquirrel utters abuse and threatens to post photos that will not aid the contest in any way, but in fact will impede the contest. If anybody is to be censored for these comments of abuse, it will be me.

Flat-Chested

Post by Flat-Chested » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:00 pm

If nobody posts photos of their five coins by the end of the month, then I'll close the contest.