PCGS attribution screw ups

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
iceman

PCGS attribution screw ups

Post by iceman » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:21 am

Hi To all
I finally got PCGS to correct some attributes . I sent in 4 coins 1879S rev 78 that where raw and Got them back and 3 of the 4 where wrong . I sent them again with all the
documentation and finally they got it correct . They HAD a VAM34B as a VAM35 , And VAM 34B as a VAM34 and a VAM34A as a VAM34 . Well the Vam34B's are just a filler coins with detail designation ( Ebay Raw purchases) and the 34A was a VF20 . But the point of the matter was PCGS had a 25% attribution rate of being correct on the 1st run and the 2 nd time I had to put the coins on hold with them to have them get it right . Well Just me venting and at least I was proven correct on the attributes and
Yep the 1879S rev 78 is a hard one to attribute sometimes , But the PROS getting it wrong !!! LOL . Well its all good now and Im just venting but Happy that its corrected .
Need the populations to be correct on these .

Thanks John

DHalladay

Re: PCGS attribution screw ups

Post by DHalladay » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:26 am

Things went downhill when Mike Faraone retired. :(
When in doubt... don't.

RogerRock

Post by RogerRock » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:34 am

iceman wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:21 am
Hi To all
I finally got PCGS to correct some attributes . I sent in 4 coins 1879S rev 78 that where raw and Got them back and 3 of the 4 where wrong . I sent them again with all the
documentation and finally they got it correct . They HAD a VAM34B as a VAM35 , And VAM 34B as a VAM34 and a VAM34A as a VAM34 . Well the Vam34B's are just a filler coins with detail designation ( Ebay Raw purchases) and the 34A was a VF20 . But the point of the matter was PCGS had a 25% attribution rate of being correct on the 1st run and the 2 nd time I had to put the coins on hold with them to have them get it right . Well Just me venting and at least I was proven correct on the attributes and
Yep the 1879S rev 78 is a hard one to attribute sometimes , But the PROS getting it wrong !!! LOL . Well its all good now and Im just venting but Happy that its corrected .
Need the populations to be correct on these .

Thanks John
Question ? - Did you resubmit as Mechanical Error and did PCGS cover shipping
Stage 3 TERMINAL DIE STATE SILVER DOLLAR EXPLORER

iceman

Post by iceman » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:23 pm

Rodger
I talked to them about it , Customer Service and Im not sure if they are going to cover shipping . I would hope so . I figured out on the Mech error on my last set I sent in .
I was getting the Pedigree and they sent it back without the pedigree , Well then of course I sent it back and it got corrected under the Mech Error . But we shall see if they cover the shipping . If not I will make a stink about it , just because it was their
screw up and its the point of the matter . They guarantee stuff so if its wrong its on them , So I would hope they honor these Ethics . I would hope , LOL . But as long as the coins are correct with the correct attribute thats the most important thing .
But Yep alot of errors with PCGS and my coins as of late .

Longstrider

Post by Longstrider » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:46 pm

The pros from Dover! That's a MASH reference. The movie. I think.🐍

Longstrider

Post by Longstrider » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:48 pm

I should say I sent a token into NGC and they forgot to photograph it. The extra photos they charge for. It was right on the form and the extra money was included. It's marked twice on the form. ???🐍

iceman

Post by iceman » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:52 pm

To All
Well I has to fight with PCGS on the attribution screw up, I had to reference past emails with them on how the
told me to send them back in . Basically they said send them in for reconsideration and if you are correct on the VAMS then no charge , Well after the 2nd time around and putting them on hold at PCGS and sending them Cheat Sheets on the VAMS in question they finally did get it right , But tried to charge me , Well after multiple phone calls I got the charges reversed .
Wow what a pain in the BUTT , and the PROS can get a VAM correct 3 out of 4 coins incorrect . WOW thats a Big Failing grade . So my point is that you have to fight sometimes to get stuff done correct , and I couldnt accept a misattributed
coin in my collection that just would Haunt me !!! LOL .
But Now all is GOOD , But still its always prudent to Trust but Verify . LOL . Well Thats my rant for the day . LOL

John

blh74

Post by blh74 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:41 am

PAIN IN THE BUTT. All the time and money for the PROS? Well at least you got what you asked for.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:00 am

I asked Brett Charville (PCGS president) over a year ago if they were going to consider using outside consultants for varieties, and he somewhat emphatically indicated they would, so I gave him my card. Haven't heard back.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

billcoin56

Post by billcoin56 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:25 am

I'll keep it simple. It has been many years since they have deserved their #1 rating!!!

evensocome

Post by evensocome » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:27 am

PCGwho? They can't even return a call half the time. Their bulk/pre-sort department lost a huuuuuge order since they're too unorganized to even return a call. They began to die the day Miles left. Sad. It hurts to use NGC. I fear that one day, sooner or later, PCGS will be a mere shadow of NGC. (And this is coming from a "PCGS-only" guy). Saddest part is, it was theirs to lose.

vamsterdam

Post by vamsterdam » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:25 pm

this seems to be the norm any more. i am sending 2 1878s back that they botched: 1878s vam 60 g4 that they called vam 57, and 1878s vam62 that they called vam 60. it's pretty annoying when you know you can do the job in your sleep and you have to pay someone else to do them(because someone wants them in pcgs holders) and they can't even use a book and a website to get them right. and NGC botched 6/8 and 3/4 in previous submissions. it's a sad state of affairs.

iceman

Post by iceman » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:35 pm

Vansterdam
Thanks for the info also about NGC , I have never used them and it seems
all we can do on our end is Fight this miss attributions with PCGS and NGC .
Until they get there acts together its up to us to Humble them I guess .
They are the " PROS " but have been doing a real POOR job . And kind of are looking
like ASS's to the people here in this Forum . Well I guess we need to answer from
these Grading Company's to what they are going to do to correct this .
Any ideas from the Crew here ? I know PCGS is like talking to Deaf Ears . But we have to try and try again . LOL

John

vamsterdam

Post by vamsterdam » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:31 pm

i have gotten so irritated, calling ngc and explaining how unnecessary this all is. it is wasting my money and time, and their money and time. that have to pay postage both ways, listen to my complaints, crack them out and redo them. again, and again, and again. i have lost track of all of the coins that i had to resubmit due to misattribution. and the same goes for PCGS. the previous PCGS administration was worn out with complaints when they interviewed me. things appeared to be going well when my wife told me to tell them "they have until march 9 at 5:30 pm to make a hiring decision," because she had a job offer and told them she would tell them on that day and time of their decision. ah, my "gig fish that got away" story.

ljs123

Post by ljs123 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:59 pm

Yes, NGC gets it wrong also.
Great Collections recently removed this 1900-O/CC when I told them that it was really a VAM-10A, not a VAM-7.

885100-1.jpg
885100-1.jpg (126.15 KiB) Viewed 583 times
Attachments
885100-2.jpg
885100-2.jpg (124.03 KiB) Viewed 583 times

vamsterdam

Post by vamsterdam » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:07 pm

@jls123, that is a really bad one.

ljs123

Post by ljs123 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:29 pm

vamsterdam wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:31 pm
i have gotten so irritated, calling ngc and explaining how unnecessary this all is. it is wasting my money and time, and their money and time. that have to pay postage both ways, listen to my complaints, crack them out and redo them. again, and again, and again. i have lost track of all of the coins that i had to resubmit due to misattribution. and the same goes for PCGS. the previous PCGS administration was worn out with complaints when they interviewed me. things appeared to be going well when my wife told me to tell them "they have until march 9 at 5:30 pm to make a hiring decision," because she had a job offer and told them she would tell them on that day and time of their decision. ah, my "gig fish that got away" story.
Brian,
I think most of us were sad that PCGS didn't hire you.
During the time that you might be hired, I dreamed of a world where PCGS attributed the Super CDs and the Kimpton 12s.
Sadly it was only a dream. :evil:

vamsterdam

Post by vamsterdam » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:05 pm

I would have loved to do those too. I may call them tomorrow.

iceman

Post by iceman » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:27 am

Vamsterdam
PLEASE do call them and get them corrected on this stuff and expand the VAMS at PCGS . Im sure hope they look at this website to see what the issues are and how to solve them .
John

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:41 pm

iceman wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:27 am
Vamsterdam
PLEASE do call them and get them corrected on this stuff and expand the VAMS at PCGS . Im sure hope they look at this website to see what the issues are and how to solve them .
John
There's actually no reason for them to expand their VAM coverage if they're currently struggling with those the already cover.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.