Zero Inventory

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
PacificWR

Zero Inventory

Post by PacificWR » Tue May 12, 2020 2:52 am

Received a text last Thursday from the owner of the local Coin Gallery I shop at and the text contained two images of Morgan Dollars in red Paramount holders. The first one is a 1878-P VAM-134 LDS and the second one is a Redfield 1890-S (undetermined VAM). I stopped by last Saturday to check them out. After looking at both Morgan's I decided to purchase both of them and a $1.00 series of 1918 Federal Reserve Bank Note that was housed in turn of the century holder. Heck the holder is probably worth as much as the note. Really cool. As I was talking to the Coin Gallery owner I noticed something strange. All of the cases were empty. I ask him were all of his inventory was and he told me that all the silver and gold (coins, bars and Ingots) have been flying out of the cases. He can't keep any gold or silver in stock. He said sometimes it doesn't even make it into any of the cases before it is sold. In short, not sure how things are going in B&M Galleries in other parts of the country, but here in the Heartland … gold and silver is flying off the shelfs.

morganman

Re: Zero Inventory

Post by morganman » Tue May 12, 2020 3:04 am

Every dealer in country is experiencing the same dilema, as inventory is scarce as hens teeth, and premiums
running $5-$8 over spot depending on which silver product. Just another scare tactic, screw the consumer/public
But the buy quotes from those same dealers are a lousy spot price or a bit more. Ludicrous, they arent getting my
silver for nothing. All because panic set in with Mints closing - All this as indicators are for gold and silver to explode
into a multi yr escalation, with talks of $2-$3,OOO Gold

Were set for a very WILD ride the next 2 yrs!!!!!!!!!! IMHO
:|

CascadeChris

Post by CascadeChris » Tue May 12, 2020 3:08 am

Yup Wayne, the market is the hottest I've seen since I've been in the coin world circa 2013. The shops that are open are killing it. Buying tons of material -Collections and especially bullion- people need/want to sell and doing wholesale business with dealer friends. Traveling dealers are thirsty for material so any shop they do business with that're open you go, and so do 15 other dealers the B&M does behind the counter business with.

I'm driving out to Arizona on Wednesday to go to a few shops I do business with because I desperately need material and also to just get out and go on a much needed trip, even though it's just gonna be a 2-3 day one. I'm not even 100% sure the trip will be worth it due to what I said above about shops that are open are being picked off hard, so fingers crossed, but getting back on the road even if only briefly is much needed right now.
Alonzi VW 2.0!

PacificWR

Post by PacificWR » Tue May 12, 2020 12:48 pm

Wonder how long this will last? Maybe until the economy picks back up.

iceman

Post by iceman » Tue May 12, 2020 1:18 pm

Weird Times I would say .
So the bullion is Hot and I understand . But are the RARE coins Hot as well ? It seems its Hit or Miss for the collector obtaining
coins for the collections . Wondering if the Rare Coin market is going to produce some raritys from private collections .
Hard to gage what the market is like on the rare VAMS . Please advise on what your feelings are and the pulse of the market for rare coins .

Thanks
John

HawkeEye

Post by HawkeEye » Tue May 12, 2020 2:42 pm

This is a strange market occurrence and makes no sense. The gold to silver ratio is out of whack by a factor of 2 (120 vs 60) with no logical explanation. Gold has moved up, but not like I thought it might. Silver is in the dumps and just keeps wallowing there.

Demand is high and inventory is low which should be a signal of higher prices in my book, but it doesn't happen. The logical answer seems to be that the paper metals market is driving things differently than the physical market. I know the jewelry market in India has almost no demand, which is unusual.

If we want to be conspiracy buffs then the prices are being manipulated by central banks, but that can never be proven and seems illogical. The physical gold and silver markets are now a nit in size to other markets. We all like to think there is a relationship between fiat currencies and gold/silver, but apparently that linkage is gone and gold and silver may be nothing more than industrial metals with some numismatic following.

I view it as a buying opportunity and act accordingly, but sparingly.
Deep in the woods of North Georgia

Kurt28

Post by Kurt28 » Fri May 15, 2020 7:00 am

I recall taking a course in Economics at the State University many years ago.
The first half was devoted to philosophies of John Maynard Keynes. And the second half was devoted to the philosophies of Milton Freedman.
One made perfect sense, and the other espoused everything contrary to my upbringing and observations.
One said, “Pay as you go.“ And the other said “Borrow from the future.”

I'm very happy with my ability to navigate these stormy waters. And can do so with the knowledge that I have prepared for this inevitability.
Most of my numismatic attention has been focused on my reference set of 1904-O. So I will confine my comments of market trends to that series.
My series doesn't have any rare coins. The VAMs that are scarce, are unpopular and get no premium.
There are coins of high grade. And they are coming out of the woodwork. At very tempting prices.
Personally, I'm holding off on buying, as I expect prices to drop even further.

Let me offer this observation. Your local B&M isn't trying to rip you off. If he can't buy it at spot, he can't sell it at spot + $2.
If you think it is unjust, you need to talk to the people publishing those spot prices. The real market is ebay. I know it is flawed, but it is the market of people exchanging currency for hard metal.

Understand that it isn't a “conspiracy theory” that some people will plot to take advantage of other people. That's how the world works. People conspire to fix markets, people conspire to rig banking, people conspire to control news releases, people conspire to murder others with opposing agendas, people conspire to write history with a slanted view and people conspire to raise the prices of things you need.

If you do not understand what is happening, I suggest that you do as all scientists do. Reconstruct your model of how the world works.
Most people won't. Nobody likes to hear that there is no Santa.
But if you do not understand how we got here, you are not prepared to defend yourself from further onslaughts and certainly unlikely to prosper from the current situation.

I recall a story of a notable character that went to the racetrack with his girlfriend and her Father.
The man wishing to impress his future Father-in-Law would buy a dollar ticket on every horse in the race.
At the conclusion of the race he would pull out a winning ticket to impress his future Father-in Law.
His scam worked in that his objective was to impress the unsuspecting.
But he made no money.

If you are hedging your bets, you are betting against yourself.

I've spent my whole life straining motor oil through a coffee filter so I could make it to work just one more day. And by saving, I now have a grub stake.
And I'm betting every dime of it that the government, the FED, the Treasury, stock brokers, fund managers and the media have lied to me.

Meet the inspiration for the Simpson's Smithers.
01JacobRothschild2.jpg
01JacobRothschild2.jpg (58.52 KiB) Viewed 478 times

Stay close to your loved ones and keep your powder dry.

LorenAlbert

Post by LorenAlbert » Sat May 16, 2020 9:06 pm

Kurt28 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:00 am
And I'm betting every dime of it that the government, the FED, the Treasury, stock brokers, fund managers and the media have lied to me.
Reminiscences of a Stock Operator, 1923. Speaks to an appreciation for what you have written.

Flat-Chested

Post by Flat-Chested » Sat May 16, 2020 10:22 pm

Hard to talk of economics without also talking about politics and religion, consider banning the discussion of all three and return to PAFs and VAMs. Both Carson City and San Francisco minted PAFs after 1878.

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Tue May 19, 2020 7:04 pm

This has to stop
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

CascadeChris

Post by CascadeChris » Tue May 19, 2020 7:41 pm

vampicker wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:04 pm
This has to stop
No shit, seriously 😖
Alonzi VW 2.0!

morganman

Post by morganman » Tue May 19, 2020 7:48 pm

What JR said= STOP STOP

O/T is allowed within perimenters/constraints but
politics,religion etc need not be discussed on this site,
as contrary views will ultimately lead to feuds etc.
which will have to be deleated/locked.

Stay safe,healthy & happy
:|

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Tue May 19, 2020 8:00 pm

Flat-Chested wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:22 pm
Hard to talk of economics without also talking about politics and religion, consider banning the discussion of all three and return to PAFs and VAMs. Both Carson City and San Francisco minted PAFs after 1878.
If you or anyone finds it difficult to discuss something related to our hobby without going headlong into a discussion of or rant about religion and politics, perhaps you should consider participating in a religion and politics forum as an outlet.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.