Market, but not a B,S,T Question

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
HawkeEye

Market, but not a B,S,T Question

Post by HawkeEye » Wed May 06, 2020 1:36 am

Since I focus on the 1881-O almost exclusively I am wondering if people are seeing similar action in other series. It seems to me that with the 1881-O a lot of coins are suddenly coming on the market at the very high end. Not coins being sold for bargain prices, but truly high end with big price tags.

Is this happening elsewhere and is it a sign of the times where some will want to (have to) liquidate holdings?
Deep in the woods of North Georgia

CascadeChris

Re: Market, but not a B,S,T Question

Post by CascadeChris » Wed May 06, 2020 4:55 am

The market is incredibly HOT 🔥 right now. Especially online since that's basically the only venue that anybody is buying, selling, trading etc on right now. The wholesale market is near dead because shops are closed which means collections aren't coming to market. That's driving prices up along with the insatiable demand. People who have top level stuff are seeing how hot the market is and are pouncing while the gettin's good is what you're noticing...

I HIGHLY suggest all of you sell all your extra numismatic stuff lying around right now. Do it asap. Get that cash. Bullion is a different story. It's very hot right now too, hell, bullion is what's driving the market. People wanting metals fearing inflation in the coming couple of years due to the 6trillion+ we just printed amongst other things. So it's a personal call on selling any bullion holdings even with how hot it is. But numismatic stuff... sell sell sell 😎
Last edited by CascadeChris on Wed May 06, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alonzi VW 2.0!

HawkeEye

Post by HawkeEye » Wed May 06, 2020 11:53 am

Interesting perspective. Since I can only do online shopping I lack the comparison to coin shops. This is a business that might emerge as an online only business when this is all over. The audience is much larger, but I guess some will need help transitioning to more of an online model.

Kurt28

Post by Kurt28 » Thu May 07, 2020 5:18 pm

I've noticed both a downturn in prices for the common coins, and an emergence of high end coins in the '04-O series.
Similar events are taking place in the firearms and motorcycle markets. I suspect all collectable asset markets are affected by current political/social/financial events. Bullion and junk coins is where I'm placing my bets, and believe that prices will drop even further for the high end stuff. But my track record isn't all that great at predicting future markets, so my comments aren't meant for advice as much as entertainment value.
91351301_2607634922846632_5858721066922278912_n.jpg
91351301_2607634922846632_5858721066922278912_n.jpg (51.79 KiB) Viewed 507 times

HawkeEye

Post by HawkeEye » Thu May 07, 2020 5:27 pm

I have the same prognostication record, so I try and gather information, not give direction. I would have guessed that all prices would be depressed since a lot of people are out of work and it seemed like demand would be down. Right no I have enough raw bullion and collectibles to feel like I would survive a severe downturn, but as I said my forecasting record isn't great.