Registry These Days

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
alefzero

Registry These Days

Post by alefzero » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:26 pm

Just a few notes. Due to the extraordinary situation, the circuit I am on is being shared with a lot of local residential customers to spread the load out, so they can be more comfortable staying at home. Many will stream a lot of content and might give an access hiccup now and then. Nothing particularly intolerable though. Also, with my own sequestration, when I take time off of listing eBay lots, I might be working on some of the Registry code and when I make new builds, there could be a less than a minute interruption each time. If it throws you back to the opening screen, just do a BACK and retry in 30 seconds or so. Lastly (not Registry stuff, but why a separate post), when I list lots on eBay, I try to add attribution images to support them. Feel free to nick whatever is useful for reuse here on the pages. Occasionally, I have a coin that is either not imaged or is missing important detail images here. Also I identify unlisted features and PUPs as well on rare occasion. Probably not a lot that is very useful but some here and there. Full coin shots too. I use the same name over there. Everyone stay safe! This is probably going to get really ugly over the weeks ahead.

DHalladay

Re: Registry These Days

Post by DHalladay » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:48 pm

Thanks for the heads-up.

Hang in there my friend. Be safe. Stay well.
When in doubt... don't.

vamnuke

Post by vamnuke » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:50 pm

Thanks for all you do and take care!

alefzero

Post by alefzero » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:25 am

Thanks to the entire community. Always bear in mind that the Registry is useless without the data that we all provide. I see a lot more activity since folks are largely home and idle. That's great.

One thing fogie and I have done a lot of for the early dollars and Lafayettes is comb through auction archives, attributing literally thousands to beef it up. If anyone is really bored, you might pick a date and hit Heritage, eBay, etc and go to town registering. Might even do a virtual die study in the process. Never know what you will find.

CascadeChris

Post by CascadeChris » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:57 am

One thing that would be awesome is if, while on mobile, we didnt have to scroll through a list of dates with our thumbs to find the date/VAM when registering a slab number. Same thing with looking up a specific VAM in the census I think. If it was more of a segregated-date click list similar to when you're searching the registry that would make it sooo much easier to register a coin or look up a census VAM on mobile! 😎
Alonzi VW 2.0!

alefzero

Post by alefzero » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:42 am

A full mobile and app transition is definitely on the back burner. I will see if I can do a cascading menu javascript thing That would help a lot. I have no access to my library right now, but online resources usually are pretty good.

Longstrider

Post by Longstrider » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:40 pm

Thanks for all the great work you and others are doing here. I appreciate it. You always get right on any crazy problems I have.🐍

alefzero

Post by alefzero » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:12 am

I asked the provider to give some priority to my circuit on the router, since I am paying commercial rates for it and voluntarily asked they share it with a lot of neighbors at no cost for their quarantine comfort. Might get bumpy now and then at peak times, but seems relatively smooth now. I was questioning my generosity for a few days there.

morganman

Post by morganman » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:58 am

I completely understand what you do here, but have not a single clue as to all the technical
aspects you deal with to keep this thing operational. Like Goliath helping a mouse LOL

I would be in the crazy house already, so i cant imagine what you deal with.
My techie brain is non existant, and i marvel at folks like you
Guess we will let you keep hair,beard etc LOL Mr Brainac!!!!!!!

Super Thanks from the Dinosaur !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:|