I'M PAYING ATTENCION THIS TIME

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
VAM-PIRE

I'M PAYING ATTENCION THIS TIME

Post by VAM-PIRE » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:55 pm

Is there any reason why a details coin is not holdered and described when entered in a bulk submission?

VAM-PIRE

Re: I'M PAYING ATTENCION THIS TIME

Post by VAM-PIRE » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:59 am

Furthermore, I failed to mention that this quandry is in no way aimed at JB. He bends over backwards to help whenever he can. I'm just saying it should be a nobrainer to report why a coin is a details item since you have to look at it anyway. Come on some of you brainiacs, give us a "weigh in".

Unc90o

Post by Unc90o » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:50 am

That's the rule from pcgs.

Genuine Services (Genuine with Details and Genuine no Details) are not available on Bulk submissions. 

https://www.pcgs.com/services/bulksubmissions

VAM-PIRE

Post by VAM-PIRE » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:37 am

Are the bulk subs with NGC under the sane rule? And why is it such a big deal to find out which condition disqualified any particular coin? Would anybody besides me like to know what condition eliminated one or more of your coins? It would be no extra work for the TPG as they have already examined the coin and cited the error,, Would anyone else share my quandry?

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:38 pm

It actually is extra work for the TPG to cite the reason on every no-grade coin. For bulk, the no-grades go right back into the tubes submitted in with a red "no" sticker on it before the others are done being graded, and they don't look at them again. I would guess they do this before even looking at dates and mints. The grading report simply says a quantity of no-grades at the bottom, without breaking out dates. Of those that come through my bulk submissions that no-grade, the vast majority are for cleaning as best as I can tell. Damage (environmental, or "traumatic") and AT are the bulk of the rest. There are some that no-grade that don't make a lot of sense. Sometimes these grade a second time around. Thankfully, it's cheap to retry, although time-consuming. If you'd like my thoughts on why a coin no-graded, I can scribble it on your submission form when I contact you with grades.

What would help more, of course, is an in-person explanation, and not just for explaining a single coin, but learning what to look for. For this, bring some coins to a show and have someone point stuff out to you. You'll learn a lot this way. Even better, take a grading class. PCGS might actually have a grading video that covers cleaned coins and what to look for, but I haven't looked for or watched it yet.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

DHalladay

Post by DHalladay » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:10 pm

One of the reasons bulk grading is so inexpensive is because the graders don't have to take the time to cite no-grade reasons. If you want those reasons on the holders, there's always regular grading (and cost).
When in doubt... don't.

VAM-PIRE

Post by VAM-PIRE » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:48 pm

Thanks guys for the info, and please forgive me for the overuse of multiple "W" words. Just seems that an example would be better than a pic any day. Anyway, it is what it is. If I don't like it, I don't have to do it, right? I will make a stab at some photos later for your viewing pleasure!

VAM-PIRE

Post by VAM-PIRE » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:57 pm

Another observation-I need to pay better attention (tion) when using the word attencion (cion). Where's spell check?