1886-O VAM-20 Revision (Break or Crack Follow-up)

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
UncleGildy

1886-O VAM-20 Revision (Break or Crack Follow-up)

Post by UncleGildy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:31 am

Leroy has provided a revision to the 1886-O VAM-20 listing in response to my 86O submission. Could Wayne or Andy please update the listing with a revision in a proper manner? I'm not sure of revision protocol.

Here are smaller copies of the plate photos and the letter here, and then upload the larger ones once the revision has been made to the 1886-O_VAM-20 page.
1886O_VAM20rev_01s.jpg
1886O_VAM20rev_01s.jpg (81.91 KiB) Viewed 197 times
1886O_VAM20rev_02s.jpg
1886O_VAM20rev_02s.jpg (80.31 KiB) Viewed 197 times
LVA-Letter_86Ov20rev.jpg
LVA-Letter_86Ov20rev.jpg (100.53 KiB) Viewed 197 times
A month of travel delayed this follow-up, but the old post I'm referring to is here.

I will contest this is a small break, but Leroy said only "die cracks are common". He attributed the coin as VAM20, and (I assume) he decided more detail would benefit the community, as the 1886-O series lacks a little detail and definition or is a bit too vague in places; thus, the revision with die markers. I had mentioned the two die markers above but have a feeling he knew they were there and was going to call them out without "my help".

Looking back - while trying to attribute this coin myself I had flagged the doubled ear which is key, but I downplayed its significance in my mind because I was caught up on the slightly "high 6" and mint mark placement. The mint mark looks extremely close to the VAM8 photo in the VAMBook which is listed as "O Set High", and with a high 6 in the date. Those with the VAM book are welcome to compare for yourself. This coin's mint mark is in the same position but with a slightly different tilt.

These were just red herrings though, and I should have known better and listened to the doubled ear. :D
In my mind, it's unquestionably a small break. However, it's not a major or dramatic break for sure, and it's on the cap, in a common location that is subject to wear.

Finally, as usual, Leroy taught me several things -- as you can see, he gently pointed out to me that my "Strong doubling of N in UNUM - upper diagonal" is simply in the Hub. Yup - I see it all over the place now.

PacificWR

Re: 1886-O VAM-20 Revision (Break or Crack Follow-up)

Post by PacificWR » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:57 am

Congrats. I'll take care of it for you.

CascadeChris

Post by CascadeChris » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:41 am

Neat. I have a box of meh VAMs that have a feature that warrants sending it to Leroy for a second look at a different specimen for minor revisions, additions etc that I use as filler if I only have a couple dead nuts new to send. He can miss stuff or think it insignificant at the time or the specimen he saw was a different die state etc. They aren't the funnest part of the hobby and they take money out of your pocket but they are a vital and necessary part of the hobby.
Alonzi VW 2.0!

PacificWR

Post by PacificWR » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:04 pm

Page has been updated.

rodmeader

Post by rodmeader » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:51 pm

Congratulations on your Revision.

UncleGildy

Post by UncleGildy » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:03 am

Thanks Guys.
Thanks for the updates Wayne. I updated the page to point to larger plate photos, and added a LFCP of the revision coin. I also added a comment declaring later die states have a large dramatic die break, ;) Just kidding - I did add a comment mentioning a distinct crack on some later die states though, and mentioned the LFCP of the revision. Considering it jumped out like a beacon on 6 out of 746 coins on eBay, I thought it was interesting enough to mention.

Wayne/Andy/JB - Please feel free to correct or remove any of my edits as you see fit. Oh yeah - the LVA letter corrected the listing from Double Ear to Doubled Ear. I changed the title and listing to match Leroy's updated listing (doubled).