EXTRTMELY OFF TOPIC, BUT LET'S GO

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
VAM-PIRE

EXTRTMELY OFF TOPIC, BUT LET'S GO

Post by VAM-PIRE » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:14 pm

I don't want to spend a lot of time on this, so here we go. What's the deal with the "2019 W Lowell National Park Quarters". Some are fetching unbelievable prices, especially the graded ones with "First W Mint Mint Quarters" and "First Releases" and "Great American Coin Hunt" or "Star Label", on the label. I have several rolls of Lowell W's. How do I get them qualified?

Thanks,

Very Interested VP in MS

TheYokel

Re: EXTRTMELY OFF TOPIC, BUT LET'S GO

Post by TheYokel » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:29 pm

The first quarter with a W stamped on it and they were released directly into circulation at only 14 locations.

Was meant to get people interested in hunting pocket change.

Turned into dealers buying $20k in quarters at a time in loomis rolls and setting the market...
"There is no E"...

Top 100: 27 -- Hot 50: 6 -- Top 50: 4 -- Elite 30: 2 -- K12: 2

VAM-PIRE

Post by VAM-PIRE » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:41 pm

Sounds like a deal when the grading co. needs to lay there eyes and hands on the coins first. Do we know the mintage, or how many Lowell W's qualify? Seems like the high prices are jumping the gun a bit without population figures to help determine or estimate rarity. Also, it seems like every question that pops into my head generates a few more. Thanks for the comeback Yoke, the floor is now yours.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:08 am

2 million of each design for 2019 were made with the W mint mark and mixed into ballistic bags at the Philadelphia mint as a gimmick promotion. The first coin to be received by each grading service got a special "First Found" label and a cash reward ($2000 at PCGS, I think). Those that came within the next week get a "first week" label, and then just to keep the grading fees coming, for 45 days after the first coin, you get an "Early Find" label.

Given the mintage and the fact that a huge number are being preserved in MS64-66, they'll be comparably priced to either the Missing Edge Lettering Washington dollars (two of which I sold to pay for my first DSLR) or 1950-D nickels within a year or two, making them easily within reach of someone assembling a Dansco album.

The lesson to be learned here is not only to sell into the hype, but that you shouldn't buy a Dansco until a series is done.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:17 am

I recall a few years ago they had a 'first release' line at the ANA in Rosemont and fights broke out over the gold Kennedy half dollars. No problem finding them on eBay now at the original mint sale price. Still think they are overpriced. I'm willing to wait...
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

CascadeChris

Post by CascadeChris » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:28 am

vampicker wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:17 am
I recall a few years ago they had a 'first release' line at the ANA in Rosemont and fights broke out over the gold Kennedy half dollars. No problem finding them on eBay now at the original mint sale price. Still think they are overpriced. I'm willing to wait...
Just a hair before my time but I've heard about that. It's already become numismatic Legend.. IIRC, I also seem to recall a story about the very first one sold to the first guy in line being resold for $5k then being flipped for something like $100k.

Also, dealers were hiring homeless off the surrounding streets to come in to the show and buy one for said dealers. The in-person equivalent of the big bullion & TV companies with standing offers of $50, $100, etc over to order hot low HH items online and ship to them directly.
Alonzi VW 2.0!

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:47 pm

vampicker wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:17 am
I was set up at the table closest to the Mint's cashier, because the person who bought the table wanted that location specifically for making some quick bucks off the promotion. He made money (which is why you buy a table at a coin show), but what a zoo. In addition to fights, there was basically a homeless camp set up in a rat maze outside of lot viewing, massive security problems, lots of thefts. We were all thankful when the sales stopped. By Friday afternoon, prices were starting to fall pretty quickly as people had all they needed and there was no more getting special show slabs at the show. The ANA said "never again." Of course, they said the same thing after the 2012 Philadelphia show because of the unions, and look what happened in 2018.

The W quarters can wait until the corrected Danscos are printed.

dave700x

Post by dave700x » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:50 am

messydesk wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:47 pm

That may take as long as the 7070 update.... :lol:
1883-O nut

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:30 am

dave700x wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:50 am
messydesk wrote:

Perhaps. I went looking at danscoalbumstore.com, and they have a note on the circulation strike album saying, "We were informed by Dansco that they will release a S minted supplement page for the National Park Series Albums once the Mint is done producing these new additional S uncirculated coins." I assume such a supplement page will also include the W coins. They'll be out of sequence with the rest of the set, but they'll still be in there. They'll probably need two full pages just for the unplanned issues, though, so I hope the binder is thick enough.

TheYokel

Post by TheYokel » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:52 am

messydesk wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:30 am
dave700x wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:50 am
messydesk wrote:

Perhaps. I went looking at danscoalbumstore.com, and they have a note on the circulation strike album saying, "We were informed by Dansco that they will release a S minted supplement page for the National Park Series Albums once the Mint is done producing these new additional S uncirculated coins." I assume such a supplement page will also include the W coins. They'll be out of sequence with the rest of the set, but they'll still be in there. They'll probably need two full pages just for the unplanned issues, though, so I hope the binder is thick enough.
Would be sweet to have a big set that included a multi-binder holder and separate binders for the different series.

Think along the lines of the old leather-bound Hobbit / Lord of the Ring series where all 4 books fit into one large decorative leather holder.
"There is no E"...

VAM-PIRE

Post by VAM-PIRE » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:39 pm

Guys, thanks for all the great info. Turns out, I bought my W Lowell's too late to qualify for first or early releases. No wonder they were so cheap. So, I'm guessing that the W Lowells, as well as the W Mariana, are now face value, or is there any premium for the W m/m? Anyway, a little birdie told me to concentrate on W Guams now, and to stay abreast with the research. Please continue with the comments and advice.

TheYokel

Post by TheYokel » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:43 pm

VAM-PIRE wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:39 pm
Guys, thanks for all the great info. Turns out, I bought my W Lowell's too late to qualify for first or early releases. No wonder they were so cheap. So, I'm guessing that the W Lowells, as well as the W Mariana, are now face value, or is there any premium for the W m/m? Anyway, a little birdie told me to concentrate on W Guams now, and to stay abreast with the research. Please continue with the comments and advice.
They are holding $10-$20 right now on Facebook...
"There is no E"...

VAM-PIRE

Post by VAM-PIRE » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:45 pm

Thanks

CascadeChris

Post by CascadeChris » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:14 am

Hey guys, Walt got his W quarter back from NGC and asked me to post the pic he took of it to further the discussion and get a consensus on what it is and what caused it now that there's a decent LFCP that shows the issue with more clarity...

20190718_170500.jpg
20190718_170500.jpg (164.3 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
Alonzi VW 2.0!

blh74

Post by blh74 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:04 am

wrapping machine damage