Man im over this

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
Cwwallis

Man im over this

Post by Cwwallis » Fri May 31, 2019 4:41 am

So im tring to identify these vams i cant seem to get it and every good vam i get people wanna say oh its nothing when pcgs says its something it something i guess i raised different and live by a different code then most........

TheYokel

Re: Man im over this

Post by TheYokel » Fri May 31, 2019 7:02 am

It can definitely be aggregating at first. You haven't even hit a "multiple dies exist" shut-down yet. The biggest let-downs are yet to come :lol: ...

...but so are your coolest additions. :)

And don't worry about what people say. Collect what you like. Some of my favorite coins are Kimpton 12's, and neither PCGS not NGC even recognize them (we're working on it though).

Not sure what you mean about PCGS? Did they get an attribution wrong?

VAM'ing is like golf... 36 $!!%%¥ swings and misses for one sweet chip in for birdie that makes the whole round worth it.

And then once in a while you get a hole in one that you talk about for years...
"There is no E"...

Top 100: 27 -- Hot 50: 6 -- Top 50: 4 -- Elite 30: 2 -- K12: 2

impairedsquirrel

Post by impairedsquirrel » Fri May 31, 2019 11:40 am

Don’t give up! The first thing you’ll learn is there is an INFINITE amount of learning to do in this hobby! One of the things you’ll figure out on your journey is what is and what isn’t worth looking at/for. One of the cool things about VAMs is that list of goodies can literally be different for each and every individual VAMmer. Live, look, read, study, learn and find your niche, then it’ll be nothing but fun (golf type fun sometimes, as Ant said, but still fun!).
I go totally NUTS for WOW! VAMs!! Or is that from WOW! VAMs?

colwillys

Post by colwillys » Fri May 31, 2019 1:26 pm

The impairedsquirrel is giving you the best advise .. Go slow . Smile the roses , keep an open mined and wide open
eyes.. Most of all keep having FUN .

vamsterdam

Post by vamsterdam » Fri May 31, 2019 2:51 pm

don't be annoyed by those who do not collect vams. they know nothing. study and figure out what area of vams interest you. then go look for them.

messydesk
Site Admin

Post by messydesk » Fri May 31, 2019 3:20 pm

Collect what you like. Some people collect 1960-D cents with repunched mintmarks. In typical BU condition, those of the 100+ that are worth a premium may bring a dollar or two. While most people would call this a waste of time, those who enjoy doing it do not. Some may call @DHalladay crazy for collecting 1921 Morgans by scribble scratches, but he sure enjoys it.

VAM collecting is a niche within a niche. Don't look for validation of how you enjoy numismatics from others. Concentrate on varieties that interest you and learn how to attribute them before trying to tackle the entire catalog. You may let a tough one slip through your fingers once in a great while, but it's better than being frustrated.
Welcome to the VAMWorld 2.0 discussion boards. R.I.P. old VAMWorld.

vampicker

Post by vampicker » Fri May 31, 2019 3:32 pm

The operative word here is 'collect'. If the main motivation is 'what is this and what can I sell it for right now?' then you've picked a bad time to venture into this field. There are very few things in this particular field that are instantly gratifying unless you give yourself the time to learn what you're looking for.
often the crusher of hopes and dreams

DHalladay

Post by DHalladay » Fri May 31, 2019 5:25 pm

I am crazy with 1921-Ps, but I am having so much fun it is nuts. And it's cheap! And I've made something like 18 discoveries. Plus, trash talking with Fogie -- and sending each other extras we have -- makes it even better.

Two more years and they will hit 100 years of age. Maybe the price will suddenly skyrocket! :lol:
When in doubt... don't.

fogie

Post by fogie » Fri May 31, 2019 7:01 pm

Nothing wrong with being a little nut - as long as you are having fun...

blh74

Post by blh74 » Fri May 31, 2019 10:46 pm

I am sure we all are a little nuts. What a great hobby.

Cwwallis

Post by Cwwallis » Fri May 31, 2019 10:49 pm

Love the hobby i have over 100 morgans righ now what i dont love is the rude people and people that dont realize that nobody is born knowing what they know about the hobby and i realize because i have ptsd its a little harder to teach me but dang cut a brother some slack

PacificWR

Post by PacificWR » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:18 am

Hang in there man. There are some folks on this site that carry a heavy load but, you would never know it. Just don't pay attention to the folks that tell you to go buy a book....read it then come back to me.

VAM-PIRE

Post by VAM-PIRE » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:00 am

Hang in there man. I added the word "VAM" to my Morgan collection dictionary about five years ago. I've had one crash during that period, but no burn. Listen to what the folks are telling you, as they make up
a large part of the backbone of VW. Acquiring a rare variety or a discovery coin is a rush, but getting to know and interact with the members is way more important. Truly, a great bunch of guys, and gals-My2c

UncleGildy

Post by UncleGildy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:09 am

Adding another vote of support here Cwwallis! I've been obsessing over VAMs for a year or two, but only on this board here for about 9 months. The learning is endless, but the support is always here. But not everyone who can help is always logged in and able to.

Social Networking and Discussion Boards aren't all that natural to some of us (not me for sure). Mixing up introverts and extroverts with all the different backgrounds can be a little tricky at times. Sometimes, what may seem like a smack down, may just be a good natured jibe. I've rushed replies I regret, and have seen others make hurried knee-jerk replies that might have sent the wrong or an unintended message as well.

I'd echo the suggestion of taking your time and just collect the things that interest you most. Don't worry if you can't attribute it right away or the board doesn't seem to help or make sense at the time - just set it aside and come back to it later.

One tip that helped me out early on: Remember the die is an incuse, mirror image of the coin's surface. So when you see a raised ridge in the surface of a coin, it means there is a scratch, gouge, break or other depression in the die that made the coin. That's very helpful in distinguishing what is Post Mint Damage (PMD) to a specific coin from what could be an attribute of the die. Being able to distinguish one from the other is a good milestone, and will come soon enough, like a light-bulb turning on. there will me more of those moments after that, and it'll become more fun as barriers are removed and things start fitting together and making sense.