TAKE YOUR PIC

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
VAM-PIRE

TAKE YOUR PIC

Post by VAM-PIRE » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:30 pm

I can hear it now, "Here comes dummy again with another dumb idea". I have brought this up before, and so have others. The need for more photographs. Who would benefit? Shoppers/Buyers, Sellers-If buyers benefit its obvious how sellers would, "WHAT,S IT WORTH" lookers would be better served, Databasers-some of the members spend a lot of their own time gathering coin data that they are more than happy to share. I bet photos, or at least cert #'s, are important to them.

I will admit, I am a dummy when it comes to posting photos, so I have someone come by at least once a week for photo assistance. Does anyone else think photos are important?

fogie

Re: TAKE YOUR PIC

Post by fogie » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:40 pm

I find photos of tremendous value - at least when they are correct to the coin.

CascadeChris

Post by CascadeChris » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:42 pm

I'm not sure I'm following the exact intent of your word salad there Walt. Can you boil it down?
Alonzi VW 2.0!

TheYokel

Post by TheYokel » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:43 pm

VAM-PIRE wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:30 pm
I can hear it now, "Here comes dummy again with another dumb idea". I have brought this up before, and so have others. The need for more photographs. Who would benefit? Shoppers/Buyers, Sellers-If buyers benefit its obvious how sellers would, "WHAT,S IT WORTH" lookers would be better served, Databasers-some of the members spend a lot of their own time gathering coin data that they are more than happy to share. I bet photos, or at least cert #'s, are important to them.

I will admit, I am a dummy when it comes to posting photos, so I have someone come by at least once a week for photo assistance. Does anyone else think photos are important?
Photos are equally as or more so important than the worded listings they attach to. Very good photos just require very good (expensive) equipment that only a select few have. Photography isn't cheap...
It's an investment just like our coins. To some people the decision falls between 20 raw $50 BU Morgans for $1000 to research in hand or a camera set-up...

I applaud and am sincerely thankful for both sides of the isle.
"There is no E"...

Top 100: 27 -- Hot 50: 6 -- Top 50: 4 -- Elite 30: 2 -- K12: 2

LorenAlbert

Post by LorenAlbert » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:17 pm

To some people the decision falls between 20 raw $50 BU Morgans for $1000 to research in hand or a camera set-up...
Maybe 200 Morgans when you include accessories. And that is if you shop hard. If you include graphics, printing, and server hardware; bump it to 400 Morgans. And this does not include white elephants.
Last edited by LorenAlbert on Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vamsterdam

Post by vamsterdam » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:51 pm

I keep asking for help in posting pictures but I am routinely ignored.

TheYokel

Post by TheYokel » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:05 am

vamsterdam wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:51 pm
I keep asking for help in posting pictures but I am routinely ignored.
Pm me any questions you have about posting images boss. I don't know a ton but i can walk you through hosting images.

@LorenAlbert explains why people take ownership of their photos so seriously with that kind of investment... :shock:
"There is no E"...

Top 100: 27 -- Hot 50: 6 -- Top 50: 4 -- Elite 30: 2 -- K12: 2

VAM-PIRE

Post by VAM-PIRE » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:09 am

CC, Word Salad? Need any Blue 'cheese? Now seriously, I'm just putting up a plea for the use of more photos, and why I think they are helpful. Its like photo is to topic as whipped cream is to strawberry pie. So much better when together. And, you must admit, you've never heard anyone complaining about too many photos. Thanks to you and everybody for looking and commenting. Keep um coming.

LateDateMorganGuy

Post by LateDateMorganGuy » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:26 am

If you post a photo of every die poop marker for every die stage and state of every coin, the VAM pages would become unwieldy IMHO. If you want to run off newcomers, just have 20 to 30 photos of each die pair that don't make sense to them because they don't understand die stages and states. "But my coin doesn't have............".

I realize I am in the minority on this issue and can accept that, but I am an advocate for "One & Done" markers that transcend die stages and states. Die studies folks, die studies. This is the only way to find the one & done markers.

CascadeChris

Post by CascadeChris » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:50 am

VAM-PIRE wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:09 am
CC, Word Salad? Need any Blue 'cheese? Now seriously, I'm just putting up a plea for the use of more photos, and why I think they are helpful. Its like photo is to topic as whipped cream is to strawberry pie. So much better when together. And, you must admit, you've never heard anyone complaining about too many photos. Thanks to you and everybody for looking and commenting. Keep um coming.
Ah, ok, I get what you're laying down. Too many pics can be a bad thing but so is too little. There is a sweet spot. A handful of pics of the most noticable features plus LFCP's work great. Anything more is gratuitous and not needed for the reasons Scott mentions.. However, a good workaround to this in creating a thread with all the minor PUP pics then linking that thread to the page as to not clog up the pages with too many unnecessary pics while also adding the ability to see them with an extra click if one wants to.
Alonzi VW 2.0!

VAM-PIRE

Post by VAM-PIRE » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:50 am

CC and LDMG, Let me try again. All I'm saying is OBV/REV, 2 pics. I think situations when photos are necessary would include BST, Discussion Forum, and What's It Worth, to name a few. I know of no way one can accurately buy, sell, trade, or appraise a coin without a pic, or in some situations a cert # will work. Some of the members ALWAYS post photos. What say you?