IN NEED OF DIRECTION

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
DHalladay

Re: IN NEED OF DIRECTION

Post by DHalladay » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:27 pm

Will someone please point me to this new platform?
If material is trading hands at visible prices, I want to start gathering it for my database.
When in doubt... don't.

TheYokel

Post by TheYokel » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:05 pm

Raw coins (nice ones) are doing well also it seems...

Here's a pretty common date 1902-O raw BU being auctioned and already over $60 shipped. That's graded MS63-64 prices on a raw coin...

Again, I have no idea what prices were like before. All I can do is compare sold realized prices to the book prices. Judging by that... it seems fairly stable at worst...

"There is no E"...

Top 100: 27 -- Hot 50: 6 -- Top 50: 4 -- Elite 30: 2 -- K12: 2

LorenAlbert

Post by LorenAlbert » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:14 pm

TheYokel wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:13 pm
We know what the floor is because unless they subsidize mining, outfits won't work for a loss...
Yes. Except to say that betting on a rational market is dangerous. An old Johnny Horton song; "We held our fire till we saw their pupils swell..." It was about the New Orleans Mint I think.

crabscrape

Post by crabscrape » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:36 pm

Yokel,

Pay gold you cant go wrong! you are telling on yourself about Morgans and silver sales. You are not teaching the younger generation how to go about Vams and it wrong telling about the demo graphic's being posted to educate. You are only showing what money can be made! All of it if not most have got off base about what you are suppose to do here. This is why VW2 will fail to bring NEW Blood! Shame! Shame! If the group here really thinks whats they are teaching is right, then Lord help us all!!!

TheYokel

Post by TheYokel » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:44 pm

crabscrape wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:36 pm
Yokel,

Pay gold you cant go wrong! you are telling on yourself about Morgans and silver sales. You are not teaching the younger generation how to go about Vams and it wrong telling about the demo graphic's being posted to educate. You are only showing what money can be made! All of it if not most have got off base about what you are suppose to do here. This is why VW2 will fail to bring NEW Blood! Shame! Shame! If the group here really thinks whats they are teaching is right, then Lord help us all!!!
He specifically asked about prices and i specifically answered with prices.

And per your attack on me...

I'm under 35...

I *am* the younger generation you are talking about...

And believe me. I teach many people every day about collecting coins. On Facebook as well. We actually have a couple groups 100% dedicated to varieties and learning about them. We have over 10,000 members in one group alone. I contribute more on a daily basis to this hobby than most. I hold a once a week meeting for friends in my cigar group to look at my coins and ask questions and get interested. I direct people daily from multiple groups to learn about Morgan VAMs here.

You can say i look into details on VAMs that others don't think are there. You can say I'm unhealthy obsessed with finding a new E and that I'm an idiot for looking...

But don't any one damn well ever suggest that I don't care about this hobby deeply.
"There is no E"...

LorenAlbert

Post by LorenAlbert » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:59 pm

TheYokel wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:44 pm
I hold a once a week meeting for friends in my cigar group to look at my coins and ask questions and get interested. I direct people daily from multiple groups to learn about Morgan VAMs here.
Have you shown my clashed E animation to anyone? What did they think?

crabscrape

Post by crabscrape » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:03 pm

I don't think you care personally! If you did you would stop giving numbers and start giving information to younger people to join VW2 and educated Vams not SALES! I am not attacking you just giving you my view point. How are you going to make things better here if you don t see the clash EEEEEE?

TheYokel

Post by TheYokel » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:06 pm

LorenAlbert wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:59 pm
TheYokel wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:44 pm
I hold a once a week meeting for friends in my cigar group to look at my coins and ask questions and get interested. I direct people daily from multiple groups to learn about Morgan VAMs here.
Have you shown my clashed E animation to anyone? What did they think?
No sir, but seeing as I just picked this 36A, I can't wait to show it to a couple of them tomorrow :)

Would I be allowed to use it to make a post with my 36A in a Facebook group as long as I credit you?
"There is no E"...

LorenAlbert

Post by LorenAlbert » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:11 pm

TheYokel wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:06 pm
No sir, but seeing as I just picked this 36A, I can't wait to show it to a couple of them tomorrow :)
Would I be allowed to use it to make a post with my 36A in a Facebook group as long as I credit you?
That would be fine, please include the topic page. If anyone is interested in the technology I can explain the procedures. The animation was done in Photoshop, but that is just the beginning. The main thing about the accuracy of that overlay is the physics that went into taking the LFCP photographs. At some point I could do the 22/36 clashes but I have not taken a photograph in a few years now. Distracted by my day job.

TheYokel

Post by TheYokel » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:26 pm

crabscrape wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:03 pm
I don't think you care personally! If you did you would stop giving numbers and start giving information to younger people to join VW2 and educated Vams not SALES! I am not attacking you just giving you my view point. How are you going to make things better here if you don t see the clash EEEEEE?
You misunderstand the market...

There are collectors and investors, and quite often those lines intersect. Stop acting like this generation is the first one to care about value. The purchaser of the St Gauden double eagle never collected a coin before that and it's said to be the only one he ever bought.

Yes, there are collectors that would rather ignore the financial aspect of the hobby ... But you can't. For over 1000 years prices have been placed on coins.

And without people looking to sell a rare VAM... Where would the eyes come from to find the rare things like the 21-V44 that less than a handful have ever been seen? Or do you not want them ro be found, to keep the current rarity-pool?

And yes, 100%. When i buy a coin, I'm trading my hard worked time and hard earned money to buy something that i expect isn't going to be worthless once it crosses the counter. I hunt raw for a reason... The margins. I'm not able to afford an AOH 1887-V1B... But i bet i can afford to hunt one raw.

The younger generation you so desperately want to get active in our hobby are up to their ****ing eyeballs in student aiddebt, housing debt, etc... They are GOING to worry about value. We lived through two recessions already and we aren't about to give our money away now that it's finally stabilizing a little. We don't have pensions and fully-funded 401ks to play with. Businesses rape us raw at barely over minimum wage in some places while kids with bachelor's degrees fight it out for $14/hr and act excited when they get it.

You aren't ever going to take value out of my generations thought, just like you couldn't with the generation that lived through the 30s... It's too late for that.

But understand it isn't greed that is driving our habits of constantly looking for deals etc... It's watching our parents lose their houses because of believing into buying into something without worrying about the value... It's watching people buy into the silver hype in 2010 and lose their life savings in 2 years...

It's being a financially conscious American. My family depends on my income and investments, and God forbid it happens any time soon, but the day will come when I'm not here and they need to get that investment back. I'm not dumping thousands into coins and expecting pennies when they are sold..
"There is no E"...

crabscrape

Post by crabscrape » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:54 pm

Yokel, You have gone through talking to 10,000 people on face book to having how much you do for the younger generation. I still believe you don't care about teaching? if you did you wouldnt said what you did. Look its all good, U need to say something to make VW2 look good. However, I don't buy it. Buy GOLD you can't go wrong! I have been around to long and knows what goes on. You are 35,so what can you tell me about the MARKET. Come on now tell us I mean folks who have been around along time we are waiting to here?

HawkeEye

Post by HawkeEye » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:34 am

Good grief, I am going to go take a pill and see if this is more civil when I wake up tomorrow.
Deep in the woods of North Georgia

TheYokel

Post by TheYokel » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:04 am

HawkeEye wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:34 am
Good grief, I am going to go take a pill and see if this is more civil when I wake up tomorrow.
Lol there's no animosity. Just trying to explain the viewpoint of a group that mr. Crab seems to have a disconnect from. It seems like he wants to take the money out of the hobby that, ironically, centers around collectible money.

If i came off rude, i do apologize, but i think it needs to be understood why numbers are tossed around by younger people as much as the coins are.

One side on here thinks Morgans are tanking... One side is seeing the highest numbers in a long while. I'm trying to bridge the gap that a lot on here seem to not be able to cross. Maybe it's the hesitation to adapt new technology or new forms of sales? Of that I'm not sure. I'm just trying to be beneficial to everyone by 1) showing DH where the other numbers that seem to be vanishing are showing up at... And 2) showing people that are afraid the Morgan markets are going down where they can still capitalize on their investments.
"There is no E"...

crabscrape

Post by crabscrape » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:18 am

LOL all! I cant see the Trees for the Forest. The under brush is so thick here a rabbit cant even find a hole! I know one thing don't Pi__ down my back and tell me it raining. You the man Yokel!! and we are going to see how many Newbies you bring in. Teach'em right now you here!!

TheYokel

Post by TheYokel » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:40 am

crabscrape wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:54 pm
Buy GOLD you can't go wrong! I have been around to long and knows what goes on. You are 35,so what can you tell me about the MARKET. Come on now tell us I mean folks who have been around along time we are waiting to here?
Gold was at $1900 an ounce in 2011. Plenty of people lost a third of their life savings on that one and are waiting for it to climb back up also.
crabscrape wrote:
Look its all good, U need to say something to make VW2 look good.
I've been ridiculed and PM'd by multiple people on here multiple times with less than pleasant things to say to me. Believe me, i don't care about "making VW2.0 look good"... I care about making our hobby look good, and VW2.0 is the best place to send them.

Believe it or not i really do like (for the most part) most everyone in this community. But this constant infighting and thinking everyone has a motive needs to ends. People have hobbies to get away from life stresses... Not add to them.
crabscrape wrote:
Teach'em right now you here!!
You misunderstand. I don't think you can teach someone to enjoy VAM'ing... You can just help them with whatever collecting they are currently doing and show them a pretty Morgan once in a while to fuel the addiction lol. Most of the members of the error and variety groups start with pennies and such... But we have great members putting together a lot of hard work and great research on various things.

Here's an article one of the members did on Canadian 50 cent piece varieties:
http://www.saskatooncoinclub.ca/article ... eties.html

There's lots of people teaching lots of cool stuff to younger generations. It's just being done on a different medium.
"There is no E"...

VAM-PIRE

Post by VAM-PIRE » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:25 pm

WOW, Thanks for all of the views, and very helpful replies. After getting my brain fried by Mitch's "delete please", it was nice to read something within range of my head. In the end, nobody can predict the future, but only estimate, based on the past. I call it a SWAG (sophisticated wild ass guess). To make the situation more complicated, different situations can lead to different interpretations of history I guess I would be considered a collector rather than a dealer, since I only sell about 1 of every 20 bought. So I would be OK with falling prices. On the other hand, a dealer might see a bleak future in falling prices. To each his own. My plan is to continue to upgrade my Morgan set, and to continue to interact with one of my favorite groups in the world. Thanks VW-Any questions?

colwillys

Post by colwillys » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:48 pm

This was one of the better posted messages .. Almost got out of hand but it all got rained back in ..

You did good Walt .. Keep having FUN in building your collection . I am building my Peace dollar collection .

VAM-PIRE

Post by VAM-PIRE » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:55 pm

Hi-Yi Col, and what, or where, is the Dark Side, and what the hell does it have to do with Peace Dollars?

colwillys

Post by colwillys » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:22 pm

The DARK SIDE is the better part of VAM collecting .. or the step child to the Morgan .
As they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder . Love you Walt .. :lol:

CascadeChris

Post by CascadeChris » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:59 pm

colwillys wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:22 pm
The DARK SIDE is the better part of VAM collecting .. or the step child to the Morgan .
As they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder . Love you Walt .. :lol:
Unfortunately, Peace dollars are still going for crap money, generally. Although I haven't sold or can remember seeing any of the cool ones with nice big well-placed breaks sell recently. Think I might need to pick a few up to test the social media waters in open bidding 🤔
Alonzi VW 2.0!