EBAY REFUND-A BIT O/T

General discussion board about VAMs, but no buy/sell offers
VAM-PIRE

EBAY REFUND-A BIT O/T

Post by VAM-PIRE » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:25 am

I recently purchased a raw coin on ebay. I'm not going to identify the seller as I feel that any error which might have occurred was unintentional. The coin was described as a slightly toned, problem free, proof coin. The day I received the coin I sent it for grading. It came back proof details-cleaned. I informed the seller and he agreed to a refund upon receipt of the coin and an invoice. On the invoice I included $20 for grading and $5 for shipping. After all, it was his inaccurate ad that caused me to incur those otherwise unnecessary expenses. Of course he refused on the grade and ship fees. Is my request for fee reimbursement an unusual request? Also, what happens first, the return or the refund? Thanks for looking, VP

Raybob15239

Re: EBAY REFUND-A BIT O/T

Post by Raybob15239 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:37 am

Just my oopinion, the refund would be limited to what you paid plus eBay shipping. Seller should not be on the hook for your additional costs.
I swear, someday I will learn how to grade Peace Dollars!

impairedsquirrel

Post by impairedsquirrel » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:53 am

Yeah, hate to say it Walt, but it's "buyer beware"... before you sent it for grading did you notice the cleaning? Look around the room, all of us here swing and miss from time to time (it's part of the VAM game and, honestly, part of the numismatic game). Sorry to hear that you got torched for grading fees, but the best thing you can do is get good at seeing issues like cleaning so you can take action before you spend that money. ;)
I go totally NUTS for WOW! VAMs!! Or is that from WOW! VAMs?

Vam-mysterio

Post by Vam-mysterio » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:56 am

Sorry
I hate to say
But you sent it at your own risk
Seller shouldn’t be responsible for
Thoso added fees
As always beware of fleebay

morganman

Post by morganman » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:58 am

IMHO- I totally agree with all the replies
:|

CascadeChris

Post by CascadeChris » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:23 am

Yeah, the grading is on you. Just be thankful that he is letting you return it for what you paid without much hassle. This is where experience comes into play. Had you caught it you could have returned it the next day without incurring the grading cost. Also, another angle is that grading is just an opinion. Almost any dealer can tell you at least one story of cracking a details slab only for it to come back straight graded.
Alonzi VW 2.0!

bob259

Post by bob259 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:06 am

CascadeChris wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:23 am
Almost any DEALER can tell you at least one story of cracking a details slab only for it to come back straight graded.

Many of us collectors too! I've busted a bunch out of details and sent them back in.

For future information ebay's rules are that the item must be in exactly the same condition as when it was sent or the seller doesn't need to take it back regardless of what he said. Don't alter anything. Get it, check it out, and then make a decision.

VAM-PIRE

Post by VAM-PIRE » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:58 am

In what order is the deal undone. Does return of item go first or does refund lead off?

Vam-mysterio

Post by Vam-mysterio » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:48 am

You should return the coin
First
Once the seller receives same coin back,
Then he will be able to issue a refund
Hope that helps

impairedsquirrel

Post by impairedsquirrel » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:08 pm

Also, if this was an eBay buy, go through their official channels with the return process.

bob259

Post by bob259 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:44 pm

In the list of where you bought it on the far right is a Return This Item - click it. Then you will have to give a reason. If you select Not as Described it will print you a label at the sellers expense. Send it off and when the seller receives it he will either send the refund or if after a certain time he hasn't ebay will.

acustaw

Post by acustaw » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:01 pm

What was the time frame you returned the coin? If more than 30 days, you're lucky he even agreed to take it back at all and asking for a refund of grading fees if you had no agreement with the seller is asking too much.

bob259

Post by bob259 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:36 am

I have sold on ebay since they started, baseball cards, stamps, and anything I could find I could make money on so I am a long time seller. Starting this last fall I started selling off the many VAMs I have collected and attributed or had graded. I am trying to zero in on a particular area as opposed to just having a ton of unrelated coins.

As a seller there is nothing more irritating than someone who receives a coin and takes a month to run around to all the shops trying to get more than they paid for it or continue to search ebay looking for a better buy and then after a month wants to send it back. I always want people who buy from me to be satisfied and I take returns.

Here is my point: As a buyer you have a responsibility to check out anything you buy right away and then either keep it or send it back right away so the seller can put it back up for sale. It is only fair.

LorenAlbert

Post by LorenAlbert » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:30 pm

Yet another consideration. There are blacklisting subscription services available to sellers. Return the coin and you may not not be able to buy from many sellers. The ratings on the Bay are fundamentally flawed. You dare not give negative feedback, yet alone return something, if you hope to avoid being blacklisted.

VAM-PIRE

Post by VAM-PIRE » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:52 pm

Thanks guys tor all of your good advice. We agreed that upon my return of the item, he will refund the price of the item only back to my paypal acct. I guess I should consider myself lucky. I will update if need be. VP

impairedsquirrel

Post by impairedsquirrel » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:46 am

Just a quick midge about the seller blacklist... I think I can honestly say that being on that list wouldn't bother me a bit. If negative feedback was given for an honest issue I doubt any honest seller would be part of the blacklisting group. In other words, any seller that would take part in that group probably has enough reason to do so that I wouldn't want to buy from them anyway.
I just bought a hand guard for my AR because it looked REALLY cool and it was listed as being carbon fiber. Now I knew full well by the price that it wasn't carbon fiber, but it was also expensive enough that it should have been dipped aluminum or at the very least high quality plastic. It showed up and it certainly did look as cool as I hoped and was EXACTLY the look I wanted, but it was certainly also cheap flimsy plastic that was barely worth putting on an airsoft gun. I made no attempt to contact this seller and left very forthright negative feedback because I know he knows full well that what he's selling is far from what he's advertising. All of that being said, my point is anyone that that seller convinces to block me is probably just doing it to protect themselves from getting the same kind of feedback because they are selling the same kind of junk. In the long run they're actually protecting us buyers from themselves. ;)

LorenAlbert

Post by LorenAlbert » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:18 am

impairedsquirrel wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:46 am
Just a quick midge about the seller blacklist... I think I can honestly say that being on that list wouldn't bother me a bit.
Nonetheless. Until you need to ask a colleague to buy a 83O22A cherry on your behalf.

bob259

Post by bob259 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:12 am

LorenAlbert wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:18 am

Nonetheless. Until you need to ask a colleague to buy a 83O22A cherry on your behalf.

You know you can have more than one site. I have two and once got blocked because the guy just couldn't get the right coin sent and I was not so nice about it when the one I really wanted was sent somewhere else. This happened with him more than once. So when I saw one I really wanted I found he had blocked me so I went to my other site and bought. Got the right one that time.

vamsterdam

Post by vamsterdam » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:44 pm

When I sell, I state it clearly, returns accepted as long as it does s in the original, undamaged holder and within a specified time period. You open up t, you own it.