DHalladay

what does restoration cost at PCGS?

Post by DHalladay » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:28 pm

I have a couple of candidates I'm not proud of. :(
When in doubt... don't.

VAM-PIRE

Re: what does restoration cost at PCGS?

Post by VAM-PIRE » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:43 am

Dennis, Not a direct answer to your question, but the one I had done at you know where was $15. It was a foreign silver dollar with a light glaze of brown toning. It was a shiny beauty when they got through, and they claimed that the
final grade was effected by their conservation, as they called it. The final grade was MS-69, and they estimated its value at $220. My declared value at submission was $40. I hope this is helpful. W

DHalladay

Post by DHalladay » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:49 am

Cha-ching! Congrats.

Thanks; it helps a lot.
When in doubt... don't.

PickNGrin

Post by PickNGrin » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:26 am

Hi Dennis,
I have never had one conserved at Pcgs. I have often wondered what would happen if the restoration uncovered an old cleaning. Has anyone had this happen? Does the Pcgs guarantee protect your grade because it is my understanding they regrade all coins that are conserved. Any advice or help?

vamnuke

Post by vamnuke » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:42 pm

I had a disaster; PCGS MS64 PL 1878 REV. 79 became a net graded unc. details Environmental damage disaster, which I lost money on. To make matters worse, the person I had to deal with says the coin wasn't touched (it was), just re-holdered. So, I took a loss with the settlement offer.

vamnuke

Post by vamnuke » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:44 pm

...and my ordeal took over 4 months of waiting and un-answered correspondence...

morganman

Post by morganman » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:58 pm

NGC came up with a NCS service- IMHO- Just another source of revenue & a submitters
nightmare in general.
Then to compete PCGS developed a conservation program fee based on coins value.
This all IMHO to help propel profits & make stockholders happy LOL
Many coins in circ cond will end up terrible - as imperfections show even worse and then they
regrade them which screws the paying submitter.
PCGS after conservation determines coins value- damm scary
ACETONE is a hell of a lot better option if done properly and patiently
Anacs also has option to conserve at their discression on their submittal form
I ve made a fortune buying PVC /problem coins and on several occasions tried conservation
TPG and their idiots in general. taking the problems in hand/dealing with personally really works
with a workable protocol. I have worked on thousands of Morgans and Gold U S coinage
One must individually select coins to mess with and first evaluate your expected outcome &
leave many alone- as conserving will make quite a few grade less due to severity of problems etc
IM sure exceptions apply but my moneys staying here at home-rather than contributing to
a unproven money pit. IMHO which i have many LOL
:|