Skip to main content
Pages and Files
New VAMworld forums
Buy, Sell, Trade
Old Message Board
Old BST Board
SSDC Registry Log In
Join the SSDC
VAMs by Date - Phone
Morgan VAMs by date
Hit List 40
Elite Clashed Dollars
Listed Privately Made
Peace VAMs by date
Elite 30 Peace
John Roberts' Annual Lists
A. George Mallis Library
VAM and Coin FAQ
Message Board Photos
Style for new pages
THE WOW LIST
The following is a list of truly spectacular varieties. Some are readily available, some are quite difficult to locate, but ALL are easily recognizable with the naked eye!
Visually nothing special, but these are the firsrt dies used to make Morgans!!! That HAS to be WOW!!
Realizing this MEGA mirrored reverse is solely caused by a concave reverse die puts all questions to rest!
- Crazy Lips obverse doubling. Almost as cool as the 88o Hot Lips! If you find one, double check the reverse to make sure you didn't hit the VAM-14.16 jackpot!
- This coin is packed with WOW factor! Nice STRONG 7/7 tf feature to go along with BIGTIME die clashing!
- "Spaghetti Wing" The workers at the San Francisco mint made numerous and widely varied attempts to "fill in" polished areas on the eagle's wings. This one is among the most bizarre!
a WOW gouge for sure but the only problem is it is not a gouge!!so find one
- One of the more available "long nock" B1 reverses (though ALL are difficult to locate), this coin also features an obvious and strangely broken D in dollar along with a broken N in United. The 78s long nocks are notoriously tough to attribute, but this one is a piece of cake.
- "Dragon Scales" Another bizarre attempt by SF mint workers to fill in the gaps on the eagle's wings. See also
- Major doubling of Liberty's leaves! This is one of several 78cc's that have this feature, but the VAM-6 also boasts a MM that is set extremely far to the right, making it a slam dunk to attribute.
- "Knobbed 8" Big old die break on the first 8 of the date, big old die gouge on the wreath bow on the reverse. VAMs don't get much easier to attribute than this!
- Truly incredible die clashed coin!
- So you found that big old die gouge mentioned for v1a, but your coin has die clashing? You got a tough "E" clash Morgan!
- 8/7 spikes on the obverse, serious die gouge on the eagle's right (viewer's left) tailfeather. The obverse has its own spot on the Top 100 and the reverse has its own spot on the Top100... now that's worthy of a WOW!!
- Die chip on wing looks like a silver nugget!
- Ever had a split chicken breast? Same thing, but with the eagle!
- Hard to find, but when you see one you KNOW you found something cool!
- Doubled ear is fun, but the MAJOR clashing will make you say "WOW!"
- Where to begin! Obverse has clashed I and US, counter-clashing, gouges and die breaks. The reverse has the famous "winged L" and O gouge along with numerous layers of clashing...
! The VAM-2D is its equal minus the letter clash and both are TOUGH!
- Cracks, breaks, clashing, die scratches, extra metal... this is one BUSY variety!
- A nice clash combined with a BIG reverse break and an obverse radial crack!
- The buffed reverse makes it seem as though you're staring into a pool of water!
- I know this can be spotted with a naked eye, that's how I realized I had one!
- Listed for two breaks, but this obverse is ALL cracked up!
- Incredible rotation on multiple clashes!
- When it comes to clashed E's...this one
- You know exactly what you found when you see the rotation of this clash!
- Gouges galore on the reverse!
- The clashed E is cool, but the wicked obverse die break will make you say WOW! Of course you could also get a partially filled reverse die!
- "Say hello to my lil friend!" EVERYONE knows about the Scarface!
- One look at this reverse and you know what it is.
- I believe this is the coin that started it all! Major Houlihan can't compare to this lovely lady!
- "The Shooting Star" This is the one VAM which I CLEARLY recall saying "WOW!!" about the first time I saw it! The gouge really does look like someone drew a shooting star!
- The bulge tells the story. It sticks out like a sore thumb too!
the ole bar wing
- Amazing clashing! This one makes the list just because it invokes dreams of the VAM-23a!
- The "champ" is followed closely by "the king of clash", in both WOW factor AND rarity!
- An obverse die worn to the edge of oblivion!
- A cool and easily noticed reverse gouge.
- Famous for its massive "Tailbar" gouge, but still findable as a cherrypick!
- "The Comet" has two easily noticeable gouges beside the date! See also VAM-10a.
- Unusual die break for both its size and location, this beauty would make the Peace VAMmers proud!
- The obligatory doubled ear, but this one also has clashing and a moustache die break!
- The incredible E clash gives all three stages of this one WOW factor!
- The off-set nature of the clashing gives this one away in an instant!
- "Extremely buffed reverse" is an understatement!
- This one boasts two fantastic reverse radial breaks!
- If you're looking at 95o's you'll notice this "bearded eagle" pretty quickly!
- The die breaks are nasty on the 6A, but for even more WOW check out the 6B!
- Just another one of those wickedly clashed varieties!
- The famous shitfed eagle! Everyone loves this one, but for a challenge, find it's little cousin the VAM-7 "smiling goose"!
- Another easy to spot buffed reverse.
- The 1A LDS, 36A and 39A are wonderful clashes from the 01o series, but for sheer WOW the 25A takes the cake!
- Nice die gouge, pitting, denticle impressions and a radial break on the reverse all add up to WOW!
- When it comes to 1921p clashing, you can't beat this one!
- A more than generous serving of die gouges adorn this one, earning it the name "meteor shower"!
- Something look fishy in front of Liberty's nose? Must be the goldfish clash!
- Longest of all the Morgan dollar die gouges!
- The fabulous "Thornheads". The 1B1 and 1B3 hold the most visual WOW!
- see 1921P VAM-3B3 comments.
Any one of these STRONG RETAINED CUD VAMs will fill this spot!
help on how to format text
Contributions to http://www.vamworld.com/ are licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike Non-Commercial 3.0 License
Portions not contributed by visitors are Copyright 2018 Tangient LLC
TES: The largest network of teachers in the world
Turn off "Getting Started"