Skip to main content
Pages and Files
New VAMworld forums
Buy, Sell, Trade
Old Message Board
Old BST Board
SSDC Registry Log In
Join the SSDC
VAMs by Date - Phone
Morgan VAMs by date
Hit List 40
Elite Clashed Dollars
Listed Privately Made
Peace VAMs by date
Elite 30 Peace
John Roberts' Annual Lists
A. George Mallis Library
VAM and Coin FAQ
Message Board Photos
Style for new pages
1878-S Reverse Dies
1878-S Reverse Dies
Normal die of 1878-P type B2 with small III S mint mark. Some specimens show diagonal polishing marks in eagle's tail feathers and through first top berry in left wreath or long horizontal polishing lines through neck and eagle's right wing.
1B, 1C, 1D, 1E, 1G, 1I, 41, 54, 73, 86, 87, 94, 103
- Two heavy diagonal die gouge lines in space above eagle’s right talons and a heavy diagonal line in space between eagle’s right wing and leg. Later die state shows raised dots from die rust pits at upper right in tail feathers and lower right wreath. Two die chips in lower part of eagle’s right wing. Early die gouge die state has 186 reeds and later rusted die state has 184 reeds.
- Die chip on upper right of top loop of R in AMERICA. Die later used on 1879 S VAMs 4, 23 and 25.
- Slightly doubled D in DOLLAR on left side and at bottom. Diagonal die scratches in lower part of eagle’s tail feathers, thru lower top berry in left wreath, middle of eagle’s right wing and long vertical line in lower part of eagle’s right wing next to feather ends. (Same as
.) (Formerly VAM 1)
Heavy diagonal polishing lines in lower part of eagle’s tail feathers and thru first top berry in left wreath.
The VAM-73 also shares the same reverse die with VAM-1D. However, the VAM-73 has a double eyelid and a small spike in front of Liberty's eye. The VAM-1D does not have these features.
- Heavy, broad die gouges in outer leaves of second and third leaf clusters from Ñ bottom of right wreath plus die gouge on left side of M in AMERICA.
- Heavy horizontal polishing lines at top of eagle’s left wing.
- Heavy die gouges in in eagle's right wing. R in TRUST not broken.
- Diagonal die polishing lines in eagle’s tail feathers of VAM 1D.
- Small III S mint mark set slightly to left and filled.
Four short diagonal die scratches between eagle’s left leg and tail feathers. Diagonal polishing lines on lower feather between eagle’s right wing and leg. R in Trust not broken. (Often found in Redfield collection holders.) Primary diagnotics are the full r in trust and the broken 4th right obverse star.
- Fine raised dots all over eagle.
Same as B2a, but with die fill on arm of r in Trust which can be partial or completely missing. (A hub break since it also appears on some 1878 P 7 TF & 1879 S). Some specimens show a die fill on the G of GOD, resulting in a separation of the upper loop of the G. Some specimens show a die break through the berry and leaf in wreath under the N in UNITED.
Associated VAMs: 2, 10, 11, 12
Small III S mint mark set slightly high and to the right.
Associated VAMs: 25
D in Dollar doubled at left top outside and at left and right bottom outside. Small III S mint mark set slightly to left. R in Trust not broken. Earliest die state has horizontal polishing lines below middle tail feathers.
17, 17A, 66
- D in DOLLAR doubled at left top outside and at left and right bottom outside. Small III S mint mark set slightly to left. R in Trust not broken. Earliest die state has horizontal polishing lines below middle tail feathers. Experts believe the die state of this variety with polishing lines below the taifeather is a very rare die state. The
with denticles clashes below the tailfeather looks to be scarce but slightly more available than the rare state pictured below.
- Slightly raised denticle impressions thru OLL in DOLLAR, below OL and four slanted impressions below left tail feathers. The most clashed denticles discovered on any Morgan. This is member of the "
" list of the most desirable clashed dies.
- Horizontal polishing lines below middle tail feathers.
Fine engraving lines in middle of both eagle's wings where die was overpolished due to incorrect basining.
Left wreath, lower part of right wreath, UNITED STATES, ONE DOLLAR and left star doubled towards rim. Doubled O in God at bottom. Feather engraved between eagle's righ wing and leg. R in Trust no broken.
Associated VAMs: 21
Small III S mint mark set left and slightly high. R in Trust not broken.
Feather engraved between eagle's right wing and leg. R in Trust broken.
5, 7, 46, 46A
- Die break on left side of second berry cluster from top of left wreath to form extra looking berry or leaf.
help on how to format text
Contributions to http://www.vamworld.com/ are licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike Non-Commercial 3.0 License
Portions not contributed by visitors are Copyright 2018 Tangient LLC
TES: The largest network of teachers in the world
Turn off "Getting Started"